News day evaluations

10/02/16

As a news correspondent, and an attempt at being a politics correspondent, my focus was on Teresa May granting police more powers to create free schools.

First off, the whole thing was an absolute nightmare. I reached out to various organisations, such as the local council, MP’s from both Labour and Conservative, and one company that specialises in the development on free schools, all of which was to no avail. When news day arrived, Mike suggested another take on the story, which would be teachers leaving their profession and under qualified teachers with only an A level in their specialist skill set to teach children of higher education, such as College.

As a result, I interviewed Jo Golden, the head of Education Studies at the University of St Mark and St John. The interview was very informative, however when it clocked up to seven minutes, I struggled to find out what to cut and what to narrate, considering I had already scripted my segment for the Teresa May story, and not the teachers. Unfortunately, during the interview, my phone didn’t register some of the levels and that ultimately cut out some words during the answer, which would have made the answers on air sound very nonsensical.

In the end, I had no work to show for my effort. That did upset me as I wanted to succeed and get a story out rather than create a confusion like in the news day last semester. However, under consultation, I was told it was okay that nothing went according to plan. I didn’t have far to fall as it was learning, however it allowed me room to feedback to myself and make sure next week would go a lot more smoothly

Verdict

Pros

1. Learned to have a back up alternative take on a story in case the original falls through
  2. Chase your leads as much as you can
  3. Have something to hand in on the day, than attempt to finish it on the day

Cons

1. Had nothing to hand in
  2. Very disorganised. Need to learn to be prepared for anything that gets thrown your way in the future