‘I Think Nick Fury Just Hijacked Our Summer Vacation’ – Spiderman: Far From Home Review

There are some pretty big movie franchises out there in the world, and perhaps one of the biggest is anything connected to Marvel. I’ll be honest here and say that I am not the biggest fan of superhero movies. I can never quite get into the stories, especially when they start overlapping into other movies, and the action seems all a bit too repetitive for my taste. Battle here, explosion there. I don’t really see the appeal myself, but you know what it is like at Christmas time, families desperately trying to find a film that everyone will like to watch together.

Whilst I prefer romance and musicals, Marvel seems to sit pretty well with the rest of my family, so I agreed to Spiderman: Far From Home. I watched Spiderman: Homecoming a couple of years ago, after Christmas time movie get together, and understood the outcomes of Infinity War and Endgame enough to be able to piece this one together. Plus, it means that I get to watch Tom Holland for a couple of hours, so silver linings and all that.

There’s nothing that Peter (Tom Holland) want’s more than a normal life, a chance to be a normal teenager without having to worry about saving the world, but of course that would just be too easy. Desperate to enjoy a trip to Europe with his classmates and to catch the attention of MJ (Zendaya), Peter finds himself having to step up to face a new threat to the world, whilst trying to hide his superhero identity.

With stars including Samuel L Jackson and Jake Gyllenhaal and a great number of actions scenes, it’s an interesting enough film to hold attention and proves enjoyable, even for someone like me who never really paid the genre much interest. In all honesty, it doesn’t take much to work out the twists and turns and some of the action scenes appear a little bit drawn out in places. That being said, the funny and clever script allows for some comical moments. It was these funny moments that were the highlights of the film for me. Tom Holland has a flair for comedy, and he deserves more of a chance to show this off.

You can not fault the special effects included in this film, with giant monsters and crumbling cities, but there’s only so many times you can watch a film where Tower Bridge gets destroyed and people run screaming from strange threats. It’s repetitive, it’s expected, it’s something common to action films in my opinion. The same thing over and over again and it’s a real shame because it just makes everything a little bit dull.

Spiderman: Far From Home may not be my kind of film but it was easy enough and interesting for a couple of hours but it was nothing special, nothing out of the ordinary. I can see why people enjoy these types of films but it’s really not my sort of thing. I have no interest in watching any of the other films in the franchise, it’s just not for me.