CLINICAL REFLECTION – 23/11/18

Date Location Total Amount of Hours Overview of Session
23/11/18 Marjon sport and health clinic 2 1 hour massage on lower limb & 1 hour anatomy revision of anatomy lower limb (quadriceps muscles and lower limb bony points).

Reflective Summary  Areas for further Improvement plus action plan
Client came to clinic complaining of tight quadriceps and aches following a gym session 3 days before. On palpation I could clearly feel tightness in the centre of the rectus femoris spreading across to the vastus medialis. A few trigger points were present, and the muscle was tight with the client having problems relaxing. Tested ROM and client said that appeared lower than usual.

I performed massage to warm up the tissues and relax the muscles and then went into NMT to reduce trigger points and restore muscle tone. I was not fully clear on where the quadriceps originated, so I did not perform the treatment along the full length of the rectus femoris, which may mean the treatment was not as effective as it could have been.

I spent the second hour in the clinic revising the lower limb anatomy, so that I was clear on where the quadriceps, hamstring and calf muscles originate and insert, to insure during my treatment I work on the entire muscle.

Continue learning and practising origins and insertions of muscle groups, to ensure I know what I am treating to allow me to be more effective with my action plans.

Next time I will use stretching techniques such as PIR and RI to lengthen the muscle fibers and increase ROM as it can be more effective in a shorter space of time than massage and it relies on the client putting in their own effort, opposed to just the therapist.

Returning to reflections at a later date
I now feel a lot more confident on the origins and insertions of the calf, hamstring and quadricep muscles. I feel this has had a positive impact on my technique as I am not treating the entire length of the muscle opposed to just a section. Since this, I have noticed a significant improvement in ROM on the client which I have treated. I have also noticed that the use of stretching techniques such as PIR, achieve a result (such as increased ROM) in a much shorter time frame than massage alone, allowing for a quicker and more effective treatment.