Email Queries

As a student at Marjon University you are provided with a University email account. The University will use this address to communicate with you so it is most important that you ensure that you check your mail in this account regularly.

To access your University Email account point your web browser at https://webmail.marjon.ac.uk or follow the link from any other University web service. You will need to login using your Marjon University username.

Keeping Some Free Space in your Mailbox

The University provides you with as much mail storage space as is reasonably possible. If that space fills up the system will no longer be able to place new messages in it and you may miss out on important messages. For this reason it is important to occasionally look through your old messages and delete those you no longer need. You also need to remember to empty the ‘Deleted Items’ folder before any space is freed (Tip: right click on ‘Deleted Items’).

Forwarding Email

If you prefer to use a different email address you can have messages forwarded to that address. At the top right of the webmail page there is an ‘Options’ menu. Select ‘Create an inbox rule’ then ‘Create a new rule for arriving messages’ to redirect the message. If you do this, please note that the University can accept no responsibility for the failure of an email message to arrive at the external address.

Emails FAQs

What is my University email address?

How do I access my University email account?

How much storage space is available on my email account?

I can’t log onto my email account – why?

Forgotten Password or Locked out – what do I do?

Email server not available?

How do I know the message I sent is going to reach its destination?

I sent a contact an email message last week and it hasn’t arrived?

I get a message saying the recipient is not known; what does this mean?

I’ve got a message saying I can’t send because I’m over my size limit. What does this mean and what can I do?

I’ve deleted an email that I find I now need; how can I get it back?

How many attachments can I send with my email message?

What is my University email address?

University email accounts are created in this format: studentnumber@marjon.ac.uk For example if your student ID is 20061234 your email address is: 20061234@marjon.ac.uk.
The University Email is protected by a secure connection; once you are logged in you can check the server identity by double clicking the small padlock icon at the bottom of the browser window.

Return to the Top ↑

The link to your email account can be found in various locations. Links are available on Learning Space, the University Website (on the black bar at the bottom of the website under the Staff and Students heading) and the Hub.

Return to the Top ↑

It is your responsibility to keep the email account secure and manage the content in it to stop it filling up. The Email system is not a file store, it is for sending & receiving messages, student email accounts have a maximum limit of 50Mb.
There are limits to the amount of data your account can hold & you are encouraged to regularly delete messages & attachments you no longer need. Any information you need to keep should be downloaded & saved elsewhere.
Current limits for students are:

• Warning @ 40Mb
  • Can’t send @ 45Mb
  • Can’t send or receive @ 50Mb

If you are having problems using either system, please contact Computing Services (computingservices@marjon.ac.uk)

Return to the Top ↑

There are three reasons why you may not be able to log onto your email account:

• Forgotten your password
  • Locked out after numerous attempts
  • Email server not available

Return to the Top ↑

If you have registered with Password Reset Manager:

1. Follow the link to the Password Reset Manager section on our website and enter your student ID. Click on the “Forgot My Password” link.
    2. Now correctly answer the questions you previously set up (CaSe SeNsItIvE remember), click Next.
    3. Enter a new password of at least 14 characters (Using a mix of UPPER and lowercase, numbers and symbols)
    4. Then re-type the new password in the “Confirm new password” box.
    5. Click Finish

If you have NOT registered with Password Reset Manager: You will have to contact Computing Services and ask them to reset your password (computingservices@marjon.ac.uk).

For information regarding Password Reset Manager please refer to this information about resetting your password.

Return to the Top ↑

Email server not available?

We may occasionally have an unexpected problem with the server. You will need to wait until the problem has been resolved before accessing your email account. If you are having problems, please contact Computing Services (computingservices@marjon.ac.uk)

Return to the Top ↑

You can never be absolutely certain that the message will reach the recipient but there are a couple of ways to find out if it has.
Before sending your message you can set it to ask for an automatic read and/or delivery receipt by clicking “Options” and selecting “Request a delivery receipt” and/or “Request a read receipt”.

Many email systems will honour this request and return an email to you to tell you that your email has been delivered to and/or read by the recipient but some do not and some people may not let their email system return a read receipt when they open your email. If it is important then it may be better to ask the recipient to acknowledge the email themselves. It’s all a matter of judgement.

Return to the Top ↑

There can be a number of reasons why an email fails to reach its destination:

• You may have incorrectly addressed the email, in which case the receiving mail server may or may not generate a non delivery receipt (NDR) message.
  • The receiving email server may have been offline or temporarily unavailable or your message may have been classed as spam by the recipient system and moved into a quarantine area.
  • Your message may have contained an attachment larger than the limit set by either our mail servers (10Mb) or the recipient’s mail servers.

Return to the Top ↑

As you probably know, email addresses can be divided into two parts before and after the @ sign as in username@destination. Receiving a “Recipient not known” message usually means that the destination part of the email address you used was correct but the username was incorrect or the users account might have lapsed (or perhaps that you put the right username but sent it to the wrong destination!).

Please check that the email address you used is correct or try contacting the person by some other means to verify their email address. If you are sending a message from your Marjon email account to somebody else at Marjon and you are not sure of their email address you can put in their real name and click the “Check Names” button before you send. If the server recognises the name it will automatically add their email address to the message.

Return to the Top ↑

When your mailbox gets close to its maximum size (300Mb for staff and 50Mb for students) you will receive a System Administrator message advising you that it is getting too full. You need to remove items from email folders to reduce the size of your mailbox back to below the quota set out above.

The first place to look is your “Deleted Items” folder which is where mail initially goes when you delete it from the Inbox. Right click on the “Deleted Items” folder (position the mouse over the folder and click the right hand button) and select the “Empty Deleted Items” option from the pop-up menu.
If that does not free up enough space then consider deleting some messages from your Inbox or other folders then emptying “Deleted Items” again. If the mailbox is left unattended, the system will initially stop you sending mail and finally stop you receiving mail.

Return to the Top ↑

It could still be in your deleted items bin. If you open the folder you may find it still in there and you can Recover it. If the bin has already been emptied, go to Tools > Recover Deleted Items from – you may find your item in here. Highlight the relevant item and press restore – this will restore your deleted item.

Return to the Top ↑

here is no maximum number of attachments you can send at any one time as long as the maximum total in size is 10MB or less.

Return to the Top ↑

Helen Baker

Head of Digital Innovation

You may also like...

Skip to toolbar