The glossary activity module enables participants to create and maintain a list of definitions, like a dictionary, or to collect and organise resources or information.
A teacher can allow files to be attached to glossary entries. Attached images are displayed in the entry. Entries can be searched or browsed alphabetically or by category, date or author. Entries can be approved by default or require approval by a teacher before they are viewable by everyone.
Glossaries are a great way of displaying a lot of information in a more coordinated way that is easier to access. For example, you may have a large spreadsheet with a list of potentially suitable places to stay, which is unwieldy and not very presentable.
With a glossary you can add all the entries from the spreadsheet and each one can be selected in alphabetical order, so you can just simply tab through all the different locations on one screen.
To setup a glossary:
- login to LearningSpace
- Go to the course/module you wish to add the glossary
- Click on the cog icon (top right-hand side of the screen)
- Select ‘Turn editing on’
- Go down the page at the place where you want to add the activity
- Click on ‘+Add an activity or resource’ and select ‘Glossary’
- Enter a title and description if needed
- There are many different options available to tailor the glossary (for example in the appearance panel, you can change the display format for different needs)
- Activity completion panel allows students to manually complete activities if needed
- When you are satisfied click on ‘Save and Display’
Once inside the glossary entries can be added.
Click on any of the letters and then select the ‘Add a new entry’ button. You can include text and images to the definition if needed, including keywords.
Fill out the details as required and you can add numerous entries to each letter area.
Watch the screencast below for further support.