Edublogs FAQs

Edublogs is the educational version of WordPress, which is one of the most popular online tools for creating websites/blog sites.

If you are using Edublogs as part of your assessment, you should head to the starter guide, which will guide you through the initial setup of your blog.  This page will feature the commonly asked questions with helpful advice.

“I’ve logged into Edublogs, but my My Sites area shows a list of old blogs – how do I delete these?”

Answer:

Click on your ‘My Sites’ directly – this will show all your sites and you can simply check a box to hide any old site from the My Sites list.  When you have hidden the sites you need to hide, click on save. 

Visit the dedicated resource to find out more.

“I’m worried about privacy, can anyone see my blog?”

Answer:

If your blog is part of your assessment on a module then your blog should be attached to a class, the class will have been setup with the privacy.  If you have concerns about privacy, speak with your tutor in the first instance. (most classes are setup so that your peers are unable to view your blog)

“How do I change the setup of my blog, so how do I have a set home page and a separate blogs page?”

Answer:

The standard configuration when you first create a blog is that any post you publish will automatically appear on your home page.  To change this and have a static home page, you should first create your home page in the pages area.  Then create another page called ‘Blogs’.  If you then navigate to ‘Settings’ > ‘Reading’ – you can set your home page to the new static home page and the posts page to your new blogs page.  This means that the home page would be set and all your posts would automatically be published onto your new ‘blogs’ page.

Watch a screencast to see how to configure your blog

“What are pages, what are posts – I don’t understand..”

Answer:

Pages are set or static, so they are non-collaborative.  This means that unlike posts, nobody can leave a comment on them.  Posts are collaborative, so comments can be made on posts. (any comments left on posts are not published until you approve them

The purpose of posts in general is to capture record your reflective experiences, for example if you are on a work placement and want to keep a daily record of what you’ve been doing on the placement.  Very useful for revisiting and reflecting on the experiences to help aid your learning and understanding.

Watch a screencast that explains the above in more detail

“How do I change my menu, I don’t want every page to automatically appear in my menu..”

Answer:

Every new blog will automatically be setup so that any new page or post created will be published on your blog.  If you don’t want this to happen, you can control exactly what you want by creating a custom menu.  Follow the below screencast to learn how to do this.

Watch a screencast to learn how to create you own menu

“How do I change the picture at the top of my blog?”

Answer:

To change the picture at the top, known as the ‘header’ image – you’ll need to head to ‘Appearance > Customise’ – Then depending on the template you’re using – there should be an area called ‘header image’ or ‘header’.  Click on this and you can ‘hide’ the template example image then ‘add’ your own.  Once you have added your own image, save and publish.  (note: use copyright free images from sites like www.pixabay.com or your own images)

Watch a screencast to see how

“Where can I get further training on Edublogs?”

Answer:

You can get further training by signing up to one of our AIM sessions.  If you are new to Edublogs and want to attend a training session, you should book onto an ‘Achieve’ sessions by following the below link.  If you wish to extend your skills, you can also book onto an intermediate level workshop, which is ‘Improve’ and then finally a Master AIM session, which is an advanced training session.

Link to AIM

“How do I change the template for my blog”

Answer:

You can change the template by visiting ‘Appearance’ > ‘Themes’.  You’ll have the option to see a ‘live preview’ for any new template.  If you like the template, simply save and publish.

Watch a screencast to see how to do this

“If I visit my live blog site, how do I get back to the editor?”

Answer:

When you visit your live site, you can easily get back to the editor or dashboard by clicking on the icon that looks like a speedometer.

You may also want to explore the screencast for working effectively

“I’m seeing other people’s posts when I login to Edublogs, what’s going on?”

Answer:

When you first login to Edublogs and visit your dashboard, it will automatically display and posts from other bloggers that have chosen to make their blogs public.  If your blog is not setup as part of a class, you can control the privacy via ‘Setting’ > ‘Reading’

If you have any concerns about seeing your peers’ blogs as part of your module, speak to your tutor in the first instance.

“How do I find out what’s supposed to go on my blog?”

Answer:

You should have all the guidance you need through the relevant module page on LearningSpace.  There should be an ‘assessment’ area, this should include details and guidance to help you construct your blog.

If you have any concerns about what’s supposed to go on your blog, speak to your tutor in the first instance.

Matt Ewens

Digital Innovation Technologist

You may also like...

Skip to toolbar