STYC01 Clinical Reflection 29/10/18

On the 29thOctober I spent 2 hours at the universities commercial clinic practicing the different massage techniques and revising the anatomy of the body.

Reflective Summary 

For the first hour of the session I practiced different massage techniques where I stayed professional throughout. I showed professionalism by checking that the client had no contraindications and that the work area was set up appropriately before starting the treatment. During the massage I used the towel effectively to ensure client modesty. I then asked the client if they had any problem areas. They explained that they had aches and pains in their back and tight calves from running a few days prior to the massage. I spent 25 minutes working on the whole back where I started off with effleurage to increase the blood flow and then went into petrissage using both kneading and wringing. I communicated well with the client to find out exactly where the pain was so I was able to focus the massage around this area, getting even deeper into the tissue. I then spent 10 minutes on each calf muscle applying effleurage, petrissage and tapotement. I used beating, hacking, cupping and tapping which are all techniques of tapotement that will stimulate local circulation. I spent the second hour with a different client practicing my anatomy by going through the bony points on the skeleton and then palpating them on the client.

Areas for further improvement  

I think I need to become more knowledgeable on the bones, muscles, ligaments and tendons of the body so I know exactly what is under the area I am massaging. This will also help me to decide which technique would be most effective to use depending on what part of the body it is. To improve this, I can revise the anatomy that has been taught to me and begin to independently learn/teach myself the anatomy that hasn’t been covered yet.

Things to Remember:

1. Different techniques may work better depending on the person that you are massaging
  2. When I have observed other therapists they have adapted the different massage techniques to suit them so I know its ok to change the methods to suit me
  3. Its important to revise anatomy so I am knowledgeable on the body and know exactly what I am massaging or palpating
    Effleurage on the calf muscles
    A problem area that my client had was underneath the medial border of the scapula
    Petrissage of the whole back

Petrissage using the kneading technique on the lateral side of the lower back