STYC01 Clinical Reflection 23/11/18

On the 23rd November at Marjon Sport and Health Clinic I massaged a client for 40 minutes where they requested a full back massage. As I did it I considered the anatomy that was under the skin, both superficial and deep.

Reflective Summary 

I arrived 5 minutes before the client which was important for a number of reasons: It allowed me to collect a range of massage mediums, ensure the bed was clean and that I had enough towels to protect client modesty. I got more towels than I thought I would need because at this point I was unaware of what part of the body I would be massaging. Once the client had arrived they requested a full back massage. I started off by asking what type of massage medium they would prefer me to use, if any and then used the towel to cover them up so only the back was bare. This meant they could stay as warm as possible. As always, I started with effleurage to increase the blood flow. This can be seen if there is redness on the skin (erythema). I then used kneading and wringing (both petrissage techniques) to get deeper into the muscle tissue to decrease tension. For the superior region of the back I palpated the scapula and used circular effleurage to get under the medial border to identify any hypersensitivity. I then worked on the lower back as I identified more tightness in this area and not only used my thumbs but my knuckles as well.

Areas for further improvement 

To improve, I think I need to be more aware of how much massage medium I need to use. Sometimes I apply too little which makes it hard to move my hands over the skin and other times I apply too much which makes the surface too slippery. I also think I could use other techniques of tapotement such as cupping and beating by adapting them so that they can be used on most/all parts of the body.

Things to Remember

1. After the massage has been done check with the client to see if they want the massage medium wiped off
  2. Always keep contact with the client, using your hands, even when moving around the bed
  3. Knowledge on the Anatomy of the body is vital
Effleurage around the medial and lateral border of the Scapula
Kneading of the lateral side of the back
Circular effleurage under the medial border of the Scapula