Home – Start- Family Support Worker Training: 20/03/2019

Today was the last session of training where we discussed the process a volunteer will have to go through when our work with a family commences. Usually work with a family lasts 6 months however it can be extended to a year.  We went through different scenarios we may face during this period and effective ways of dealing with such situations.  Myself and another volunteer also acted out a role play scenario which demonstrated how not to behave as a volunteer.  To no suprise I chose to act as the innapropriate volunteer which I very much enjoyed.  We both had scripts and had a chance to go off and rehearse our lines with I did with great pleasure.  It was rather hilarious and we could not stop laughing.   We also booked in with a co-ordinator for them to come and visit our homes to help us with our family match.  We all took the opportunity to say what types of people we would like to work with and I had mentioned that I would prefere to work with mental health suffers rather than families with abuse due to the fact I felt too emotional in the child abuse and domestic violence sessions.  Another volunteer agreed that they thought I would be perfect for families with mental health problems. I also mentioned that I would like to work with male single parents.  The second half of the day was very laid back as it was really a goodbye session. However, all of us have decided to return next week for extra training to become employeed, paid family support workers.  To end the session we were asked as a group to do something togther to conclude how we felt about our experience training. We decided to create a poem which included two lines  about each volunteer. My line was ‘And here comes Georgina with the long words, her personality is quite obsered.’ It really was so funny and obviously I was the one who volunteerd to read in out to the co-ordinators.