Harriet on Hills

Rocking on the Beach

We visited Bovisand Beach to explore creative outdoor practice in a more natural, rather that classroom based, environment.

During this visit there was opportunity to sit in silence for an extended period of time. I experienced something that is not often experienced in busy day to day life- Peacefulness. There were no cars, no sirens and no hum of electrical items. I sat still and silent for 45 minutes without interruption and it was blissful.

The main focus of the beach trip was to inspire creativity therefore we were also given time with no instructions at all. We could do whatever we wanted to. Some classmates decided to build sand sculpture, dig a large hole in the sand or just to explore the environment. I struggled at first with how to be creative so returned to default by building a rock tower. Then another. And another. Till eventually I was distracted by some aesthetically pleasing rocks. One I thought looked like a sunset over a mountain so using some nearby charcoal I drew on the rock. Then having gotten a taste for it I experimented by scratching into the rocks using smaller, soft rocks and charcoal to create pictures.

At the end of the day I left the decorated rocks and my rock towers on the beach as either a nice surprise for someone to discover or to be reclaimed by nature.

Previous Post