17.01.2020 – Providing courtside support for female futsal team

Date: 17.01.2020

Duration: 1700 – 1900 – 2 hours

Venue: Marjon Sports Hall

Reflective Summary:

At the start of the session I had a short discussion with the coach.  She said that a couple of the players had niggles and that I should have a chat with them.  I did mention to her that I had put messages on the team FB site to advise them to contact me if they needed treatment outside of training sessions.  I also mentioned that I was surprised that quite a lot of the team had injuries before their last game at the end of Semester A as none of them had been in touch with me despite my regular communications about arranging clinic appointments with me should they need it.

The goal keeper had a groin issue but she said that she was okay to play and did not require any treatment.  Two players mentioned that they had tight muscles and said that the wanted a quick massage of hamstrings after their warm up.  I applied an MET to the left hamstring of one of those players.  The other said that she was okay once she had warmed up.  A third player asked me if she should play as she had a sore Rectus Femoris muscle on the left leg.  She had run a couple of days ago and said that she had sharp pains in the muscle and around the knee area.  I advised her not to play and said that I would arrange an appointment for her in the clinic for treatment the following Wednesday.

During the friendly training match between the female futsal team members and the University female football team, I applied ice to one of the football players after she received a knock to the medial ankle.  She had had a previous sprain to one of the ligaments in the deltoid ligament complex and had only recently stopped wearing a brace.  She was a little worried about re-injuring the ankle.  The cryotherapy treatment provided pain relief but she decided not to continue playing because she had a cup game on the weekend.

Areas for further improvement plus action plan

Continual revision of first aid, anatomy and SCAT testing