The summer camp bubble

sup at camp americaThe feeling of being in a camp bubble is hard to understand if you have not personally experienced it, but I am going to try and give you a taste of it through this blog. By the end of this blog I hope I am able to get across to you how amazing the camp bubble is.

The camp bubble knows no time zone, a day at camp is packed full of activities such as sports, swimming, boating, archery etc. With limited access to the outside world via social media you quickly forget what day it is. I would personally describe camp as long days and short weeks, meaning that you do so much in a day, which makes it feel long but before you know it, it’s time for the campers to depart.

It’s crazy how quickly you will grow closer to other staff members, even if you’ve only known them for a short amount of time. Another factor that brings everyone together at camp is that we all work towards a common goal which is to make sure that the kids have a great time. You are bound to make life-long friendships simply because your co-workers also gave up their summer to learn, grow and have a positive impact on the campers. The most special thing about camp is you can be as goofy and creative as you want, and no one will judge or question it. When the kids see you making a fool out of yourself, they are also more likely to be themselves and try new activities.

There are many types of summer camps in America, such as Christian, Jewish, single sex, underprivileged, private camps, special needs, sports camps, day camps etc. I have just finished my second summer working at a Christian camp in Pennsylvania, going back to camp for a second summer was an easy choice for me. One of the major factors was the family like bond I had built with everyone at camp, I had only known everyone at camp for around three months, but it felt like I had known them for years.

camp america friends

Camp will always be a big part of my life and there is a saying which goes, “you may leave camp, but camp will never leave you” this is very true as you always manage to speak about an experience you had at camp. I always speak about how camp has honed my leadership skills, in my role as the Athletics Director I had the opportunity to lead five sports sessions a day and this really helped me to gain experience in coaching and teaching sports. The best part about being the Athletics Director at camp is that it directly links to my University degree which is BA (Hons) Sport Coaching.

I hope this blog has given you a taste of life at camp and an insight into the camp bubble. Is camp calling you? If so, read about how Marjon can help you join Camp America.