11/02/19- Sports Massage Clinic

11/02/19

Sports massage clinic

2 hours

What happened during the session:

During this session, I massaged 2 family members I have not massaged before. After taking an interest in my course they both wanted to get massaged. I took them both to the clinic the traveled here together and I sat them both down to fill out the consultation form.

The first hour:

The first family member had been complaining of hip pain and mentioned that she has been to the doctors and is suffering from bursitis of the hip. I proceeded to ask what treatment she was currently receiving which she stated that she’d previously been massaged which helped to improve pain relief and mobility and that she was going to the doctors to get an injection as part of treatment. As she had been on a massage programme with another private therapist I go her to call them to check that if I massaged her today that I would not be interfering with that plan and got the all clear. I lightly massaged the area ensuring not to push too hard and used effleurage and petrissage techniques on this client as I was unaware of this particular health issue and the technical side of it I had to do some further research around the topic this is what I have learnt.

Research and references:

Trochanteric hip bursitis is when the outside bursa in the hip becomes inflamed. it can be caused by being overused or being injured.

Simple treatments for this can include applying ice packs for 20-30 minutes every 4 hours to the affected area of pain, taking prescribed and over the counter pain medications such as ibuprofen and Celebrex, resting to prevent the injury from worsening due to it being overused, and attending physiotherapy sessions when a professional givens you exercises to increase flexibility and strengthen the area.

More complex solutions to relieving pain in this area include cortisone shots (straight into the affected area), low energy shock wave therapy, and surgery.

1. Schapira, D., Nahir, M., & Scharf, Y. (1986). Trochanteric bursitis: a common clinical problem. Archives of physical medicine and rehabilitation67(11), 815-817.

The second hour:
The second client that I had in the clinic was still suffering from pain after dislocating her shoulder over a year ago. She was given an exercise plan by the physio she was being treated by at the time however, did not stick to the training after it started to feel better 4 weeks after the injury. This is a common occurrence that people do not stick to rehabilitation as it is boring and tedious and they feel it’s getting better they don’t need to continue and that’s not the case as they need to stick to the rehabilitation exercises for the whole time the physio says to ensure full recovery and decrease the chances of injury recurrence. Again, I massaged this client using I would have been able to give her exercises that are more fun and test her ability to do every day tasks such as lifting things, getting stuff out of cupboards putting her clothes on taking her clothes off washing her hair etc. These are all things I have acquired due to the following research I have done on rehabilitating a dislocated shoulder off the back of this session. The journals websites and information I read based on this topic are below.

References:

1. Jaggi, A., & Lambert, S. (2010). Rehabilitation for shoulder instabilityBritish journal of sports medicine44(5), 333-340.
  2. Wilk, K. E., & Arrigo, C. (1993). Current concepts in the rehabilitation of the athletic shoulder. Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy18(1), 365-378.
  3.  The third reference was found on the NHS website which was information from physiotherapists on exercises a patient can to to help mobilise, strengthen and retrain the previously dislocated shoulder and structures surrounding it.

Areas for improvement:

During today’s session, I had 2 very similar weaknesses that could easily be sorted with a bit of background research.
the first weakness in the first session was not having the knowledge of the condition to be able to provide information for the client or give them advice on how to ease the factors aggravating bursitis or give them any exercises that could help mobilise her.

The second weakness was that I did not know any exercises for strengthening activities that would help with the rehabilitation of the dislocated shoulder and therefore I again could not give the correct information to the client.

Lacking in knowledge is not a good position to be in as a professional, clients expect you to know the answers and information. This can easily be obtained by researching common injuries and rehabilitation exercises that can help with these areas so you can give out basic information and then improve upon it for the next session.