14/12/19- Pregame clinic- Argaum- 1.5hrs

During this session, I spent an hour and a half in the Pregame training clinic at Argaum. The first treatment of the day included a taping of the head to cover a recent laceration to the eyebrow to ensure it does not come open again during the game and to help keep it clean. 

The second treatment I did was similar to the first treatment, it served the same purpose, however, it was to protect a laceration to the elbow to prevent it from coming open and to keep it clean during the game. 

The next treatment of this session included passive stretching of the neck to help ease pain and tension due to tightness in the muscles surrounding the area. This player had been treated by my supervisor recently and due to the high number of players visiting the pregame clinic this session they sent them to me to do passive stretching. They had previously done multiple assessments and came to the conclusion of tight muscles with their prescribed treatment being passive stretching using MET to ease tightness. 

The final treatment of this session includes massage of the calf followed by a MET, PIR (contracting of a muscle followed by stretching of that same muscle), during this, the patient laid on their front with their ankles and feet over the edge of the bed. The player actively stretches the calf muscles by performing dorsiflexion of the foot, I then passively stretch the muscle to its end range and overpressure, they then add resistance against me for 10-15 seconds and then rest for 5 seconds repeating this process 3 times through.

Areas for improvement:

During this session, there were no treatments that I had not done multiple times before and therefore I was confident in my treatments as well as my ability to do basic first aid to help protect the 2 lacerations that were presented to me and for these reasons I believe that I had no further areas for improvement at this time. 

One thing I wasn’t too confident doing was the passive neck stretching, however, I know it is something that I will be doing during my studies in the near future and therefore this is not an issue to worry about as of yet.

Returning to reflctions at a later date:

I have since done part of my manual therapy of the spine module including theory and practical sessions and this is now something I am confident in doing. I would have no concerns when doing this type of treatment again in the future.