28/11/19- Arguam placement- 1hr- Training Clinic

During this session, I was at the club’s clinic providing pre-training treatments for any players that required it. One of the players that came in during this session had recently started doing rehabilitation exercises post MCL injury and therefore during this session we started doing some basic movements such as standing on one leg on a hard surface and on a Bosu ball only progressing when the player feels comfortable. When the player is ready we will progress to sport-specific activities such as throwing and catching a rugby ball while on one leg on a flat surface and on a Bosu ball on one leg to help build strength in the muscles around the knee providing stability to the surrounding structures. This rehabilitation will be done at all pre-event clinics meaning they will be training 3 times a week under supervision as well as a program to do at work to ensure optimal rehabilitation for this player. 

The second part of this session was dedicated to performing different special tests, subjective and objective assessment of a player who has a suspected ACL injury. As this injury occurred within 72 hours of the assessment some tests could come back as false negatives and positives meaning they could be showing signs of an injury when it could potentially be something else. I suggested to them to take a few days to rest and apply the principles of P.O.L.I.C.E, protection, optimal loading, ice, compression, elevation and then visit a doctor or medical professional for the injury to be reassessed.

Areas for improvement:

Although I believe this session went well and I provided valid information, it would benefit my clients and me, if I were to increase my knowledge of MCL rehabilitation exercises to help enhance their recovery. 

As I haven’t done any formal assessments in a while it would be beneficial to practice these and keep on top of them allowing it to flow smoothly rather than being put together in random order. 

Returning to reflection:

The player went to the hospital after a few days rest and they confirmed an ACL rupture and therefore in the coming weeks, we will begin rehabilitation for this injury and therefore I will do some research to increase my knowledge of this subject to be able to provide the best treatment I can for this player.