20.03.19 Leg Ulcer Clinic Hours

Spent two hours assisting in the leg ulcer clinic which runs from 9-11am (2 groups, 1h each) every Wednesday. Before attending I went through the leg ulcer clinic handout which covers different exercises that are used in the session and I thought of a warm up for lower limb and upper limb. During the sessions I Assisted in delivering lower and upper limb warm up exercises (e.g. seated marching, seated heel lifts, boxing including straights, hooks and uppercuts) and then led the upper body resistance band exercises (e.g. seated resisted boxing, rows, bicep curls, triceps extensions). On reflection the session went quite well, everyone adhered to the programme but next time I would like to get a bit more involved and maybe come up with some new exercises to do as most sessions are very similar. As well as this I need to read up on further clinical reasoning for exercise for leg ulcer patients. As such I found a study by Roaldsen et al. (2011) who say that leg exercise is beneficial in venous leg ulcer patients as it stimulates the calf-muscle pump which supports venous circulation and increases venous return. I also found a study by Yeun (2017) that found that looked at the effects of resistance band training on balance and flexibility in the elderly. They suggest that resistance bands indirectly improve balance and flexibility in elderly, due to increased muscle strength that occurs due to training. Overall these effects reduce the chances of falls in the elderly. As such, resistance band exercise is not just good for treating leg ulcers but is also a preventative measure of falls in the elderly.

Reference:

Roaldsen, K. S., Biguet, G., & Elfving, B. (2011). Physical activity in patients with venous leg ulcer–between engagement and avoidance. A patient perspective. Clinical rehabilitation25(3), 275-86.

Yeun Y. R. (2017). Effectiveness of resistance exercise using elastic bands on flexibility and balance among the elderly people living in the community: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of physical therapy science29(9), 1695–1699. doi:10.1589/jpts.29.1695