21.03.19 Clinical Hours

For today’s clinic session a 24-year male basketball player came into the clinic on my request to go through the objective assessment of the shoulder joint. Before this session I put together a full objective assessment sheet for the shoulder which also included special tests such as the O’briens test (indicates slap tears), Apprehension test (indicates instability) and painful arc test (indicates impingement. During the session I went through the full objective assessment, but the special tests were the main focus in order to learn how to correctly apply them. However, while practicing these tests I found that some like the posterior drawer test for posterior instability had no evidence that analysed its clinical value and thus I decided to not use them in the future (Konin et al., 2016). As such I then looked up a study by Donnelly et al. (2013) that summarised the clinical value of special tests for the shoulder and suggested that most were of poor clinical value unless combined and with strong relation to the subjective findings. For my next shoulder assessment, I will condense down the range of special tests to 2-3 for each pathology and try and base what tests I’ll use on my subjective findings.

Personal Shoulder assessment revision sheet (created by myself), Screenshots:

References:

Donnelly, T. D., Ashwin, S., Macfarlane, R. J., & Waseem, M. (2013). Clinical assessment of the shoulder. The open orthopaedics journal7, 310-5. doi:10.2174/1874325001307010310

Konin, J., Lebsack, D., Valier, A., & Isear, J. (2016). Special tests for orthopedic examination (4th ed., pp. 364-390). SLACK incorparated.