24.04.19 Leg Ulcer Clinic Hours

Today marked my final session with the leg ulcer clinic at Marjon University. Before the session I went through what exercises I would include in the lower and upper limb warm-up (including arm, leg and foot circling, marching) as well as resistant band exercises (including bicep curls, leg extensions, rows, foot presses). During the session I lead the warm up sessions for both groups (9-10 and 10-11 am) which went well. I then also took turns with the clinic supervisor in demonstrating lower and upper limb resistance band exercises. This went quite well but I did forget some of the exercises which my supervisor then demonstrated instead. Some of the patients struggled to do some of the standing exercises so we got them to do seated variations instead (e.g standing calve raises to seated calve raises) to decrease the difficulty. One consideration of this is, that the seated calve raise will work the soleus more whereas the standing version will target the gastrocnemius more.

Overall this leg ulcer session went well, and I felt happy to complete my placement there as I felt that there was nothing more to really learn from the sessions. I did however look at the leg ulcer exercise booklet again to re-familiarise myself with some of the exercises that I had forgotten during the session. I was also curious to see the prevalence of leg ulcers which I then found out was 3 in 1000 people increasing to 20 in 1000 people when aged 80 or above (Nelson & Adderley, 2016). This might explain why there are not that many rehabilitation groups for leg ulcer management as the prevalence is not that high in comparison to other pathologies.

Reference:

Nelson, E. A., & Adderley, U. (2016). Venous leg ulcers. BMJ clinical evidence2016, 1902.