Hot Seating Hook

Hot seating Captain Hook. Year 1

In year one class, I hot seated the character Captain Hook to help the children develop how to ask questions. I also carried this out as a research task for my personal use, to help me gain an understanding of my character (Captain Hook) and for extra characterisation. As an extra part of research I have reflected on my hot seating.

Directly from the schools newsletter

Ghaye (2011) argues that there are four common strategies of reflection.

• Reflection in action – thinking on spot.
  • Reflection on practise – after the lesson evaluating
  • Reflection for action – for an aim or a specific reason
  • Reflection with action – mindful future action.

Reflection in action: When a child asked if I was scared of the crocodile, my reaction was to curl up in a ball and cry to which all the children found amusing. However, the topic of the crocodile became a reoccurring subject, so when I reflected in action I threatened the children to make them walk the plank which soon made them change the theme of the questions!

Reflection on practise: Reflecting on practice, I think for better characterisation research I should have told a story at the beginning for children then to be able to think of more questions to ask me as sometimes there were pauses, which I filled with jokes.

Reflection for action: The aim of the ‘Hot Seating’ was for self-benefit to help the connection between myself and my character become stronger. I did three activities which included my pirate song, dance and a pirate game, all of which everyone joined in on.

Reflection with action: For the future, I will be more prepared for example I told a joke with the word ‘addictive’ in, I assumed at that age the children would know what that meant. However, a handful of children didn’t know what it meant and therefore I had to explain. So I need to note this for future reference.

Ghaye, T. (2011) Teaching and learning through reflective practice: A practical guide for positive action. (2nd ed.) Oxon: Routledge.