07-01-2020 Tennis (2 hours)

DAILY RECORD OF VISIT TO THE PLACEMENT

Date: 07-01-2020
Group or individual with whom I worked: Marjon Tennis Society

BEFORE my placement …

What am I aiming to achieve from my placement today? What do I need to be mindful of? What issues/questions need to be addressed to ensure I achieve my aim? Do I need to be aware of particular theories, or have particular skills? Have I thought about all of the ‘what ifs’?

Before my placement I had developed a more well-rounded stretching phase for both warming up and cooling down after a session, this is as the previous time I had been at placement all the squad seemed to be tense and stiff so if this happened again I was in a better position to treat them than the last time.

DURING my placement …

What did I notice happening around me today? What was I thinking and feeling? How was I involved? Did I do anything to intervene and change the situation that I found myself in e.g. how I conveyed a point or whether I decided not to do something I had planned to do? Did my reflections at the time change the session I had planned or my actions?

Today a player came to me with a pain on their elbow. I suspected this to be a tendinopathy, the pain was in the lateral side of the elbow and this immediately made me think of tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). To help the client I Kinesiology taped the elbow to allow more blood flow to the area due to the lifting effect that KT provides and as well as this a placebo effect can be seen to take place.

AFTER my placement … (based on the Gibbs (1988) Reflective Cycle)

Describe the activities you undertook whilst on placement today. Set the context, what you did and what happened.

Today at placement I was just monitoring a few injuries, such as the lateral epicondylitis injury as well as the hip pathology to ensure that the conditioned weren’t aggravated by a specific movement and if they were I was able to see this occur and use it in my diagnosis and treatment of the conditions.

Document how you felt through-out your placement today. Were you anxious, confident, pleased or disappointed?

I was feeling confident throughout my placement today as I felt like I had everything under control and any symptoms that the players had I was able to deal with confidently and efficiently.