STYC01 Clinical Reflection 09/10/2018

In this 1 hour session, undertaken in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic, the client come forth complaining of aches in their feet.

Reflective Summary

After 15 minutes of observation, palpation, and checking for any contraindications, I spent 30 minutes massaging the clients feet. The client’s feet felt tender and tight during palpation, due to them doing for a 12 mile walk the weekend before. Using the techniques effleurage for 5 minutes, I warmed the muscle and soft tissue up. Following this, using the technique petrissage, I performed deeper work into the foot up for around 5 minutes, relieving more tension and loosening the muscle up. To finish off, I performed another 5 minutes of effleurage. This was performed on both feet. For the rest of the session, I gave after care advice and the client walked up and down the Sports Therapy Clinic, to see if they felt their feet were any less painful.

Areas for Improvement

Within this session, I was again, very nervous due to this being my second out-of-lesson clinic session. As well, I was nervous to massage the feet, as this wasn’t practised as much within clinic, and I felt as though there wasn’t much I could do, other than kneading.

What can I do next?

1. Look into Youtube videos of sports massage techniques on the feet, to get ideas of a sequence of movements to perform as a treatment for the feet
  2. Ask my lecturer within the next clinic how you would go about doing the petrissage techniques ‘wringing’ and ‘lifting’ on the feet.