STYC01 Clinical Reflection 19/11/2018

Within this 1 hour session in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic, the client has problems with tight hamstrings.

Reflective Summary

Firstly, I washed my hands, ensured the work station was set up. Subsequently, I checked for any contraindications and any allergies. I observed the way the client walked into clinic to try to identity anything irregular within the way they are walking. Upon observation, the muscle bulk on both sides looks fairly equal. Upon palpation, it was clear there was a huge amount of tightness within the hamstrings. Firstly, I performed efflurage to warm up the muscles. Following this, I did some deeper work using petrissage techniques for around 20 minutes such as kneading, wringing and lifting. However, this time, unlike any other time, I decided to attempt using my knuckles and other parts of my hands to relive strain from my thumbs. Following this, I used tapotement techniques for around 10 minutes such as beating and hacking. This time, explaining to the client that this stimulates local circulation and nerve endings. To finish off the massage, I did 5 minutes of efflurage.

After wiping the lotion off of the client and allowing them to get dressed, I then began to use muscular energy techniques. In this instance, I used PIR (post isometric relaxation). I did each stage 4 times per leg, this lasted around 10 minutes.

Areas for Improvement

Within this session, when conducting the muscular energy techniques, I didn’t asses the range of movement before or after the stretches. As well, I became aware that, if asked, I wouldn’t be able to give a summarised explanation as to why and how neuromuscular techniques work.

What can I do next?

1. Always test the range of movement before and after.
  2. Look into the physiology of neuromuscular techniques.