STYC01 Clinical Reflection 23/11/2018

Within this session, the client has issues with tight glute muscles. This was undertaken for 45 minutes in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic.

Reflective Summary

Firstly, I washed my hands and ensured the work station was correctly set up. Following this, I observed the client as they walked towards me into the clinic. I checked through the contraindications and whether they had any allergies. Upon observation, the muscle bulk on both sides looked equal. However, during palpation, they gluteus muscles felt tight, and there was little pain on palpation. I checked the range of movement, in which it was extremely limited. I performed the muscular energy technique PIR, 4 times on each side. Each stretch was held of 8 seconds. During this, I explained to the client that PIR works by strengthening the weak muscles, and relaxing the overactive muscles, as well as increasing flexibility and joint mobilisation. After this, I re-tested the range of movement, in which there was a predominant increase.

Areas for Improvement

Within this session, I had issues with my positioning, in terms of being able to reach the client and perform this technique at the best angle.

What can I do next?

1. Practise adjusting bed height in order to make it easier for myself when doing muscular energy techniques.