STYC01 Clinical Reflection 26/11/2018

This session was conducted in the Sports Therapy Clinic for 1 hour. The client had shoulder pain.

Reflective Summary

Firstly, the bed was set up to a professional standard and I washed my hands. When observing, it seemed the muscles surrounding the shoulder such as the infraspinatus, the trapezius and the rhomboid are all of similar bulks. There was no swelling, bruising or muscle wastage. Firstly, I began with 5 minutes of efflurage to warm the muscles up. I then began some deeper work, using petrissage techniques for around 10 minutes. Using a bolster under the clients shoulder, I was able to knead some of the subscapularis. During this, I found many myofacial points, in which I applied the neuromuscular techniques, combined with breaks of efflurage for around 15 minutes. To finish off, I performed 5 minutes of efflurage. Throughout the massage, I used the VAS score to determine the amount of pain the client was in.

Subsequent to palpating the acromion-clavicular joint and there being no pain during this, I decided to tape the upper/mid back with rigid tape, to help with the clients posture which would, hopefully, relive some tension from their shoulders. This took around 5 minutes.

Areas for Improvement

During the massage, whilst I am now aware of the patient not being in too much/too little pain, I still am unsure if the holistic pressure I am applying during efflurage and other techniques are correct. As well, when taping the client, I was unsure of which tape to use, and when applying their also ended up being quite a few wrinkles on the tape, which is unwanted.

What can I do next?

1. Communicate with the client regarding pressure throughout the massage.
  2. Revise which tape to use and when.
  3. Practise avoiding wrinkles within the tape.