STYC01 Clinical Reflection 27/11/2018

This session took place in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic for 1 hour. The client had tight and tender quadriceps.

Reflective Summary

To begin, I make the work station look professional and washed my hands. I observed, palpated and checked the range of movement of  the quadriceps, the knee and the hip. It was apparent that the aches where coming from the fact their quadriceps were tight. I began the treatment with efflurage to aid blood flow. After 5 minutes, the quadriceps hadn’t yet gone red, so I carried on for another few minutes increasing the pressure until eventually, the blood came to the service. After this, I did some petrissage for 10 minutes, followed by tapotements for 10 minutes, including beating and and hacking, to relive some tension and loosen the muscle up. To finish the massage, I did another 5 minutes of efflurage.

Subsequent to the client being wiped of any lotion and lowering the bed to allow them to get dressed, I performed the muscular energy technique PIR on the quadriceps, using my shoulder ad body weight instead of my hands.

Areas for Improvement

Whilst I used my body weight this time, the positioning of this technique still hurt my back. In turn, I may have not held enough resistance for the client.

What can I do next?

1. Lift the bed up higher when doing muscular energy techniques on the quadriceps to avoid back pain.