STYC01 Clinical Reflection 16/01/2019

This session lasted for 1 hour. It took place in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic. The client requested a hamstring massage due to tightness.

Reflective Summary

I made the work area look professional, and displayed all the massage mediums available. I checked through the contraindications and asked if they had any allergies. They stated that they would like my to use an unscented massage medium. The client was wearing shorts and was therefore happy laying on the bed without a towel covering their glutes. However, I put a towel on their back to keep them warm. Within this hamstring massage, I did one leg at a time. Firstly I did efflurage for 5 minutes to aid blood flow; I did this until the skin became red. Following this, I did petrissage for 15 minutes, doing some deeper work using techniques such as kneading and wringing using my knuckles as well as my thumbs. To finish off, I did another 5 minutes of efflurage.

Areas for Improvement

When asking the client how the pressure is throughout the massage, their response was always that they think I could of given more. However, I felt as thought I was massaging with the greatest amount of pressure as possible.

What can I do next?

1. Use other body parts such as my forearms and elbows to get deeper into the clients muscles.