STYC01 Clinical Reflection 23/04/2019

This session was undertaken in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic for 1 hour. The client pain in their left quadriceps.

Reflective Summary

The work station was cleared and I washed my hands. Upon the clients arrival, I observed the gait, in which is was apparent that their left leg looked stiff. I observed and palpated the quadriceps, finding them both to be tender, however the left being significantly more tender. I assessed the clients range of movement including flexion, extension, medial rotation, lateral rotation (of the knee and hip), abduction, and adduction (off the hip).  For treatment, I performed a soft tissue massage on the quadriceps. To begin, I did efflurage until the blood rose to the surface. Following this, I did some petrissage to get deeper into the muscle tissue. To finish off, I did another 5 minutes of efflurage.

Following this, I did soft tissue release on the quadriceps. After this, the client’s range of movement had improved.

Areas for Improvement

When massaging the client, they stated that there was some pain due to friction between my hand and the hairs on their legs.

What can I do next?

When massaging a male, ensure I use enough massage lotion/oil.