STYC01 Clinical Reflection 25/04/2019

This session was conducted in the Marjon Sports Therapy Clinic. I treated the neck and upper shoulder and mid/lower back pain.

Reflective Summary

The client stated that they believe their aches and pains were due to University stress and poor posture when writing essays. The client stated that they had early morning stiffness in this area, and that is worse when they don’t move around much, like when they are writing essays. Regarding the lower back pain, this also may be due to the gym, as they are often training their glutes. Upon observation, it was apparent that the scapula, lower back and shoulder alignment were all equal, and there wasn’t any pain during palpation. The client also had a full range of movement within the shoulder (flexion, extension, adduction, abduction, internal rotation, external rotation, protraction, retraction, elevation, depression), and neck (flexion, side flexion, extension, rotation).

For treatment, the client received a soft tissue sassage including effleurage, petrissage, and neuromuscular techniques, predominantly on the upper fibres of trapezius and levator scapulae.  Following this, the client received Soft Tissue Release on the upper fibres of trapezius.

Areas for Improvement

When treating, I focused on the shoulders and lower back, and realised at the end that I hadn’t treated the neck

What can I do next?

Ensure I am confident in what I am treating before I go ahead and do so.