04/11/2019 2 hours

This session took place in the Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation clinic as part of the players after care from their games on the weekend.

Within these 2 hours 1 treated 4 different players. The first athlete was looking to relieve some tension in their neck following a stressful event, to which I gave them a soft tissue massage, mainly focusing on their upper fibres of trapezius, levator scapula and sternocleidomastoid (Bodes-Pardo et al 2013). Following this I treated an athlete who was complaining of their hamstrings feeling tight as they take off to sprint (Nelson, Driscoll, Landin, Young & Schexnayder 2007). To treat this, I did soft tissue release on the athlete’s hamstring. The next athlete was complaining of delayed onset muscle soreness in his quadriceps. This was the same player who stated that I didn’t put enough pressure when massaging him previously. Since then, I had asked his main sports therapist to give me tips, to which he explained that with time I will gradually get stronger, but to ensure I really am pushing through my body as opposed to my arms when applying pressure to the player. I attempted searching online for tips, however I couldn’t find anything that I didn’t already do. When massaging this athlete, he told me that it does feel better then last time. The final athlete wanted me to stretch out his quadriceps, to which I conducted the post isometric relaxation technique. Leaving this clinical session I felt more confident in my knowledge and in my application of treatment.

References

Nelson, A., Driscoll, N., Landin, D., Young, M., & Schexnayder, I. (2005). Acute effects of passive muscle stretching on sprint performance. Journal Of Sports Sciences, 23(5), 449-454.