19/11/2019 2 hours

This session took place in the Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation Clinic.

Post practise, 2 players asked for a soft tissue massage to loosen up their tight muscles and to decrease their DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). The first player requested a soft tissue massage to their calves and hamstrings. This player had a low pain threshold, so I had to make sure I wasn’t applying to much pressure when massaging. This player seemed to have a lot of myofascial trigger points between the heads of the gastrocnemius, to which I applied neuromuscular techniques to aid the removal of these. Following this, the second player requested a massage to their quadriceps. This player had a higher pain threshold than the previous, so I had to adapt to applying more pressure to this player. Following this, I applied soft tissue release on their quadriceps to lengthen the muscles. Giving massages as a form of after care to players is something I am trying to avoid recently due other techniques such as stretching and foam rolling also being an effect form of treatment, and taking a lot less time. However, most players seem to like the process of getting a soft tissue massage, to allow them to have some time to relax and to chat to myself about any stressors they have in their life. During one of these conversations, one player explained something that worried me. So, I told the player that I was going to tell the head sports therapist as he will be able to appoint them to the correct direction for help. The player was reluctant at first, however after using techniques learnt form the psychology module in first year, he then realised that telling the head sports therapist was the right thing to do. After this session, I felt very professional, and the head sports therapist thanked me for my efforts and applauded my professionalism which boosted my confidence as a therapist.