Movement and First 2 Scenes

This week we have started to get the scenes on their feet. The first thing we looked at was the movement as we believe that this is going to be the trickiest part of the piece to get right. In terms of the scene, I think it will be intriguing to watch as an audience member as there is a lot going on. We have also aimed to make this part really uncomfortable to watch which I think we have done effectively in terms of the sound we are using and the sequence we have put together. We got a few of our peers in to watch the piece and after asking them if it made them feel uncomfortable they all agreed. I think that this is definitely a good start as we are constantly thinking about everything from an audience’s perspective. Additionally, having people in to watch was really useful to see thoughts from an outside perspective and it was reassuring that they had the reaction that we wanted them to have.

This part of the play is also when my character Marnie commits suicide. We had many ideas on how we could show this on stage without being too graphic and without actually hurting myself. Eventually, we decided on a lift from the platform because we thought this would be the most effective way to show that Marnie has fallen. Attached is an image of the stage layout, which shows where Marnie will fall from where I am then lifted to the back of the stage. I hope that this part makes sense to an audience and does not look weak.

We have also managed to block the first 2 scenes this week. I am very proud as this has been a very productive week for us and this makes me even more excited for the performance. These scenes are by no means complete yet but at least we have started the process of blocking so once we have learnt our lines we will already know the structure of the scene and can just add our characters to the scene. I am confident in my ability to learn lines so hopefully I will have this done sooner rather than later!