Feedback and progress

Yesterday we had a feedback session where we got to show our work to the rest of the group and get feedback on 10 minutes worth of our performance. As Emma is having her tonsils out, it was also the day of her assessment so we did a shorter version of the performance which just involved her parts for both the feedback and her assessment. Although I was worried about this as I was not in a lot of the same parts, I am glad I got the opportunity to perform twice as this meant I was able to work on the feedback from the first time round for the second turn.

There were 2 key elements of feedback for me, the first of which was to be louder. I know that this is something I struggle with on stage, so for the second time I tried to push myself to be louder. However, I know I can still push my voice as the session was in the studio which is a much smaller space than the theatre where we will be assessed next week. Between now and then, I am going to work on my vocal quality so that none of my lines are lost during the performance. I plan on doing this by going over my lines multiple times saying them differently in the theatre and having someone at the back of the theatre watching to make sure that I can be heard.

The second piece of feedback I had was based on my posture to help with my characterisation. I had not realised that I’d swapped posture throughout the scene so on the second showing, I tried really hard to maintain a good posture which is what I think Marnie would have. Looking back, I think that this is important as it solidifies my characterisation which is something that I think is important in performance. Therefore, when it comes to assessment next week, I am going to remember to keep my posture true to the character.