MATCH REPORT: Torquay United 4 – 1 Concord Rangers

Torquay United 4
Janneh (2’, 24’ & 35’) & Reid (43’)

Concord Rangers 1
Abdullah (84’)

United stormed to a 4-1 victory over Concord Rangers at Plainmoor to keep their unbeaten league record under Gary Johnson intact and move up to fourth place in the National League South.

It was a day to remember for young striker Saikou Janneh as he bagged his first senior hat-trick. Jamie Reid’s long-distance strike was a sight to behold for the Yellow Army at Plainmoor.

United got their first of the afternoon in the second minute after winning an early free-kick outside the area, Evans passed it short to Andrews who then subsequently poked the ball through to Janneh who was able to convert after his initial shot was saved to make it 1-0. The goal was made and scored by three of United’s Bristol City loan players: Lemonheigh-Evans, Andrews, and Janneh. A training ground move that worked superbly, it was quite the start for United and they didn’t look back.

Janneh got his second of the game in the 24th minute after a neat ball was played through to him by Andrews once again. He showed his technical prowess to control the ball and get a shot away inside the box. Concord Rangers goalkeeper Sam Beasant got some contact on the ball but not enough to stop it finding the back of the net.

Concord’s best chance of the half came when a cross from their right wing found veteran forward Jack Midson. His header went just over the bar.

Janneh then got his hat trick in the 35th minute, after a Ben Wynter cross from the right was convincingly put home by the forward.

Arguably the pick of the bunch came from in-form striker Reid when he found himself in space in midfield and found the back of the net with a 30-yard effort that went in via the crossbar. Such entertainment at Plainmoor! The Yellow Army gave the team a standing ovation as the half-time whistle blew.

In the second half, United pushed on for a fifth and in the 63rd minute were unlucky not to score when Kalala got on the end of a Janneh cross only to shoot wide.

Later in the half United were unfortunate not to extend their lead when Janneh’s shot was saved by Concord keeper Beasant. It remained 4-0 to United.

Concord were able to get a late consolation in the 84th minute when Abdullah found some space in the box and was able to drive a shot under MacDonald.

To their credit Concord kept a competitive edge to their game. They had goalkeeper Sam Beasant to thank for keeping them in the tie with a number of crucial saves.

United signed off from National League action at Plainmoor for the next three weeks with a comprehensive and entertaining win. If you are looking for fast flowing entertaining football, then Plainmoor is where you will find it!

TUFC: 1. Shaun MacDonald (GK), 2. Ben Wynter [6. Jamie Sendles-White 83’], 3. Liam Davis, 7. Ruari Keating, 10. Saikou Janneh, 11. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 15. Jean-Yves Koue Niate, 17. Kyle Cameron ©, 18. Jake Andrews [14. Samir Nabi 83’], 19. Jamie Reid, 20. Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala [12. Opi Edwards 74’] SUBS NOT USED: 9. Brett Williams, 13. George Burton (GK)

Booking: Keating 14′, Andrews 27′

Concord Rangers: 1. Sam Beasant (GK), 2. Tosan Popo (16. Sean Clohessy 65’), 3. Frazer Shaw, 4. Connor Essam, 5. Lee Minshull ©, 6. Tyrone Sterling, 7. Danny Green (12. Ahmed Abdulla 45’), 8. Liam Nash (15. Alex Wall 45’), 9. Nana Kyei, 10. Jack Midson, 11. Sam Blackman. SUBS NOT USED: 14. Aron Pollock, 17. Josh Glover

Booking: Blackman 52′, Essam 56′, Shaw 90′

Referee: David Spain                                                                                            Attendance: 1,937 (11 away)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *