MATCH REPORT: Torquay United 4 – 0 Slough Town

Torquay United 4

Wynter (48’), Andrews (64’), Keating (87’) & Hall (90’)

Slough Town 0

After a very contested first half, United manage to power through and secure an emphatic 4-0 win over Slough Town at Plainmoor.

United went into the game naming an unchanged side from the team who beat Truro City 3-1 on New Year’s Day.

An early chance went to United in the third minute when Kalvin Lumbumbo-Kalala’s ball inside found Saikou Janneh whose dart into the box and shot on goal was blocked by the Slough defence and out for a corner. Janneh got another chance to opening the scoring in the 12th minute after Kalala did well to beat a succession of Slough defenders on the right and pass to Janneh in the centre. Janneh’s shot from inside the area certainly needed saving by the Slough goalkeeper who did well to get a touch on it.

United could well have broken the deadlock in the 24th minute when some nice interplay between Asa Hall and Jamie Reid created the space for Reid to strike on goal. His shot from just outside of the penalty area was well saved by Jack Turner in the Slough goal. He was extremely unlucky not to add to his tally.

United’s best chance of the half came in the 42nd minute after Reid’s cross into the box found Hall in the middle whose header from close range went just over the crossbar. It remained 0-0.

Ben Harris’ day was to end prematurely on the brink of half time after he first received a yellow in the 45th minute, but soon after was given a straight red by referee Jason Richardson for taunting the United supporters. It remained 0-0 going into half time, with all to play for in the second.

United made it 1-0 in the 48th minute after a Ben Wynter’s emphatic 25-yard strike flew straight into the bottom corner. Slough almost replied immediately in the 51st minute after Lee Togwell found space on the edge of the United box but his volley was well saved by Shaun MacDonald.

United could well have doubled their lead in the 58th minute when Janneh was played through by Reid but his low driven strike was well matched by Turner in the Slough net. This was closely followed by Kalala’s long range effort in the 60th minute, set up by goal scorer Wynter, that just went wide of the post. It remained 1-0.

After winning a free kick on the edge of the area, Andrews doubled United’s lead in the 64th minute after his free kick found the back of the net.

Slough could well have made it 2-1 in the 81st minute when George Well’s header beat MacDonald but was ruled offside.

In the 87th minute substitute Ruari Keating made it 3-0 to United after Kalala’s cross from the right found him in the box and he was able to poke the ball home from close range.

United got their fourth of the afternoon in the 90th minute when Reid set up Hall whose curling right footed effort found the back of the net to round up a fantastic second half display from United.

After a fabulous second half display, United manage to claim all three points and remain top of the table.


1.Shaun MacDonald (GK), 2. Ben Wynter, 3. Liam Davis, 6. Jamie Sendles-White, 8. Asa Hall ©, 10. Saikou Janneh (7. Ruari Keating 72’), 11. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 17. Kyle Cameron, 18. Jake Andrews, 19. Jamie Reid, 20. Kalvin Lumbumbo-Kalala (16. Ryan Dickson 88’) SUBS NOT USED: 4. George Essuman, 13. George Burton (GK), 14. Samir Nabi

Bookings: Reid (78’)

Slough Town:

1.Jack Turner (GK), 2. Josh Jackson, 3. George Wells, 4. Guy Hollis, 5. Mark Nisbet (14. James Dobson 76’), 6. Lee Togwell, 7. Sam Togwell, 8. Simon Dunn (14. Louis Soares 72’), 9. Ben Harris (12. Scott Davies 69’), 10. Chris Flood, 11. Warren Harris. SUBS NOT USED: 16. Dejon Noel-Williams, 17. Sean Fraser.

Bookings: Hollis (21’) & Harris (45’)

Reds: Harris (45’)


Referee: Jason Richardson

Attendance: 2364 (117 away)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *