MATCH REPORT: Torquay United 7 – 2 Oxford City

Torquay United: 7

Janneh (7’ & 21’), Reid (23’ & 79’) & Andrews (35’, 42’ & 58’)

Oxford City: 2

United bounce back from the 3-2 defeat to Bath last Saturday with an emphatic 7–2 win over Oxford City at Plainmoor.

United named an unchanged XI from the side that lost 3-2 at Bath City last Saturday.

It was United who started the game the better of the two sides, and looked well on to score early into the half having been extremely dominant.

United created the first clear cut chance of the match in the fifth minute. Liam Davis made serious inroads down the left, beating a succession of Oxford defenders, but his left outside of the foot shot went just wide of the far post.

United did get that all-important opening goal in the seventh minute. Jamie Sendles-White’s clearance found Reid, who beat the oncoming defender but his shot was well saved by Craig King in the Oxford goal. However, he could not hold on to it and the rebound was converted by Saikou Janneh to make it 1-0. Oxford were unlucky not to reply immediately from the kick off after Kabongo Tshimanga was played through beyond the United defence but was ruled offside by the officials.  

It was 2-0 United in the 21st minute when Sendles-White’s cross found substitute Ruari Keating at the far post whose header back into the box found Janneh who tapped it in from close range to get his second of the afternoon. United were able to make it 3 soon after. In the 23rd minute, Connor Lemonheigh-Evans got a decisive interception in the centre of midfield and then found striker Jamie Reid who was able to slot it home past the Oxford keeper.

Oxford were unlucky not to get one back in the 30th minute after a corner from the left, and subsequent header, was cleared off the line from Keating. They were extremely unlucky not to have snuck it past Shaun MacDonald in the United goal.

United got their fourth of the afternoon in the 35th minute after they had just won a corner. It was Jake Andrews to take it. Andrews’ in swinging corner managed to beat the entire crowd of bodies in the centre and found the back of the Oxford goal. They could have made it 4 quickly after in the 36th minute when a slip up in the Oxford defence allowed Janneh to run through on goal, but his close range shot went just wide of the far post.

Andrews got his second in the 42nd minute after some clever play down the right from Reid allowed him the room to cross. His subsequent cross managed to find Andrews at the far post who was able to find the back of the net. It was 5-0 to United going into the second period.

Oxford could well have got one back after the restart on the 52nd minute when striker Tshimanga’s long range strike needed saving. It was well matched by MacDonald who was able to claim it and keep the score at 5-0.

Andrews managed to claim his hat trick in the 58th minute after some neat play down the left from Lemonheigh-Evans managed to cultivate the space for a cross into the centre. The following cross found Andrews in the centre who was able to spectacularly back flick it right into the bottom corner. 6-0 United.

Oxford did manage to get one back in the 68th minute when Ashby was allowed the time and space to break free from the United defence. His tremendous curling strike had MacDonald well beaten.

Oxford then managed to get a second soon after with striker Tshimanga found space down the United right and had the pace to get beyond the United defence. His low driven effort found the bottom of the net and made it 6-2.

However, it was United who were able to get the final goal of the game. United made it 7-2 in the 79nd minute via top scorer Reid after Wynter and Janneh combined perfectly. Janneh’s cross into the box found incoming Reid who was able to convert from close range and get his second of the game.  

It was the complete United performance and just highlighted the character of the players to bounce back from the previous game in such emphatic fashion. 7-2 to United was the final score, TUFC remain top of the table.


1 Shaun MacDonald (GK), 2 Ben Wynter, 3 Liam Davis, 6 Jamie Sendles-White, 8 Asa Hall © (16 Ryan Dickson 62’), 10 Saikou Janneh, 11 Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, 17 Kyle Cameron, 18 Jake Andrews (12. Opanin Edwards 71’), 19 Jamie Reid, 20 Kalvin Lumbombo-Kalala (7. Ruari Keating 20’) SUBS NOT USED: 13 George Burton, 15 Jean-Yves Koue Niate


Oxford City:

1.Craig King (GK), 2. Ryan Case, 3. Kyran Wiltshire, 4. Josh Ashby, 5. Tom Carter (14. Ben Barrett 80’), 6. Joe Oastler ©, 7. Zac McEachran, 8. Reece Fleet, 9. Kabongo Tshimanga, 10. Craig Fasanmade, 11. Jack Self (12. Bobson Bawling 55’) SUBS NOT USED: 13. Steven Card, 15. John Odonoghue


Bookings: Carter 48’, Wiltshire 76’ & Case 87’


Referee: Mark Howes

Attendance: 2467 (47 away)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *