CLINICAL REFLECTION – 30/11/18

Date Location Total Amount of Hours Overview of Session
30/11/18 Marjon Sports Clinic 1 STM on swollen knee to increase lymphatic drainage to speed up and promote recovery.
Reflective Summary Areas for further Improvement plus action plan
Client had fallen and landed on his knee two weeks prior causing swelling and bruising to the area. I tested the knee using a tuning fork for any breaks or fractures (Moore, 2009), which suggested that there were no breaks just considerable bruising. However, I advised the client to go for further tests (x-ray) to confirm this.

I raised the clients leg using the adjustable bed end and supported this with a bolster. I then performed STM in an upward direction towards the heart to increase lymphatic drainage to reduce swelling and speed up recovery. Following the STM I applied the game ready to the knee for 15 minutes to reduce the swelling further.

Moore, M. (2009). The Use of a Tuning Fork and Stethoscope to Identify Fractures. Journal Of Athletic Training44(3), 272-274

I am going to repeat this treatment in 5 days’ time to reduce the swelling further to speed up the recovery and have advised the client to continue using ice to minimise swelling to improve ROM and joint stiffness. However, it is important that the client does not leave the ice on for more than 15 minutes at a time and allows the area to return to normal temperature slowly following the treatment, to prevent further stiffness of the joint.
Returning to reflections at a later date  
This worked sufficiently in reducing swelling and the client reported that the swelling was much less following the treatments. It has taught me that STM can be adapted in pressure depending on the pain the client is in and the stage of recovery at which they are at.