CLINICAL REFLECTION – 1/4/19

Date Location Total Amount of Hours Overview of Session
1/4/19 Marjon sports clinic 2 1st hour – formative assessment

2nd hour – massage of the plantar fascia of the foot, client pain in arch of foot.

Reflective Summary Areas for further Improvement plus action plan
For the first hour I carried out my formative assessment. 

Second client: Client complaining of pain in arch of the left foot which is more painful in PM and after playing football. Client plays football 1/7 and works as an electrician so spends long hours on his feet. Client has played football for 45 years and has previously torn his Achilles 5years ago in his left leg.

I tested his gait and noticed he is flat footed in both feet, however worse in the left leg. Client reported that he inverts his foot when he walks towards the end of the day due to the pain. He suffered with plantar fasciitis 6 years ago and wore insoles for 2 years following this but has since stopped.

I performed the navicular drop test and observed a positive result (a drop of the navicular over over 1cm, the client’s was roughly 2cm). This could be an indicator of plantar fasciitis. I performed STM on the plantar fascia to reduce tension and increase circulation, to reduce stiffness and improve flexibility.

Perform STR to break down any adhesions and scar tissue which could be putting more pressure on the plantar fascia.

Research plantar fasciitis further and do more research into foot injuries and effective treatments.

Returning to reflections at a later date
I have researched the use of massage in treating plantar fasciitis and found a blog written by Dr Warner, who states that massage improves lymph circulation which removes metabolic waste products, reducing tension and pain https://www.thehealingsole.com/blogs/news/benefits-plantar-fasciitis-massage.