CLINICAL REFLECTIONS – 8/10/18

Date Location Total Amount of Hours Overview of Session
8/10/18 Marjon sports clinic 1 In this hour session I focused on the patients lower limb, in particular the calf and hamstring muscles due to them reporting slight tightness in these areas due to leg training at the gym over the weekend.
Reflective Summary                   Areas for further Improvement plus action plan
I began with effleurage on the calf muscles to warm up the muscles, increase blood flow to the heart and to get the patient used to the feel of touch.

I then palpated the calf muscles in order to identify any areas of tightness or knots. I followed this with petrissage techniques: kneading and wringing of the area to loosen the muscles

Ensure I always check contraindications before any treatment, as it is important that I know if the client can’t undergo treatment for any reason. To help me remember a few key ones I can use THREADS which stands for thyroid, heart, rheumatoid arthritis, epilepsy, asthma, diabetes and steroid use.
Returning to reflections at a later date
Since this session I have learnt many other techniques such as stretching, taping and thermotherapy, all of which allow for a more holistic and effective treatment. These techniques allow me to prepare the session to what is most effective for the client’s injury.