Critical Reflection: 28/9/2020

Reflection: 28/9/2020                                   Hours: 2

What happened:

Today was the first day in clinic, we had a group discussion on PPE, procedures for clinic and completes a few case studies together.

What I was thinking and feeling and what was good or bad:

I felt confident that I remembered quite a bit from the second year which boosted by confidence however I realised I have forgotten a lot of pathology and am going to revise this gradually over the next few weeks and particularly in reading week. I still feel nervous about exercise prescription as we haven’t covered this much yet during our lectures, I know that this will improve across the year and to work on this I will read lots of journal articles and books. I am going to create an exercise list for each joint and for specific pathologies, so that when I am in clinic, I have easy access to exercises, if I am struggling with exercise prescription.

In this session I learnt that going into extension with side flexion, tests which facet joint is injured. I also learnt three key exercises that can be used to ease pain in individuals with discogenic pathologies. Discogenic pain is worsened when the lumbar spine is in a flexed position.

The following exercises extend the lumbar back to ease the pain.

1. Knee hugs (laying on back) can progress to relax knees down to either side
  2. Book under bum while laying on back to pull spine into extension/increase extension in back
  3. Flat back, knees and hips flexed at 90 degrees, alternating each leg

What else I could have done/areas for improvement:

Keep practicing these areas, making notes on key points learnt and using these to prepare for final exam.