Reflection Essential Chiropractic: 9/12/2020

Reflection: 9/12/2020                      Hours: 5

What happened:

Today I had four patients in clinic, two with neck and shoulder tightness, one with lower back pain and the final with knee pain (previously treated last week).

One appointment was particularly interesting; the lady who I had assessed last week with a suspected meniscal injury, was in for a follow-up appointment with severe swelling on her knee which was causing a lot of irritation in her ankles and behind her knee due to the lack of movement. The swelling was so significant, it was pulling her skin which was causing a lot of discomfort. We tried a combination of modalities with the aim of reducing the swelling.

What I was thinking and feeling and what was good or bad:

I felt really interested as I had never seen a patient who was suffering from the swelling, opposed to injury related pain. At first I felt unsure on how to treat this swelling due to the level of swelling, however once I thought about what I had learnt about reducing inflammation, I felt a lot more confident.

What else I could have done/areas for improvement:

Be more calm and not panic about not knowing the answers, think about what I have learnt throughout my degree and how that can be applied in these situations.

Action plan:

Research more into long-term swelling, risks, complications and how to treat effectively.