Thanks to a recommendation from staff here at Marjon, we have learned about a new online tool called Otter.ai, which will automatically convert live speech into text.
We think this is a great tool and it has many benefits, such as:
- You can use Otter.ai on your mobile device like a dictaphone to instantly capture speech, no need to ever write notes again!
- Great for interviews, no shorthand, no scribbling frantically!
- Captured audio/speech can be edited for more accurate notes and downloaded as a PDF, text, rich text file, Microsoft Word file
- You can export any capture into SRT captions format, this can be added to any video (for accessibility purposes via Panopto or YouTube for example)
- Great for meetings (you can separate different speakers in the capture)
- Convert any video into text (as long as the video contains speech)
The major and biggest benefit is saving time, particularly with large recordings or long interviews/presentations.
Watch a demonstration of the tool below:
Free Otter accounts allow for 600 minutes per month, at 600 mins you will not be able to transcribe until the next month.