Do you have queries about your Wellbeing?

Are you feeling stressed, homesick or lonely?

Would you like to make changes to your lifestyle?

Good Health & Wellbeing are important for us. However sometimes during life, events can happen which affect this

If you are concerned about your wellbeing contact Student Support by email at StudentSupport@marjon.ac.uk or by telephone on 01752 636891 and ask for a wellbeing appointment, or you can complete a Wellbeing self-referral form.

The Wellbeing Signposting Service will refer you to appropriate information, guidance and support.  

For self-help check out our #MarjonTogether pages which hold resources, a calendar of events and tips on how to take care of you. 

Mental Health

If you are struggling with your mental health please seek support.

You can contact us by email at studentsupport@marjon.ac.uk or by telephone on 01752 636891

If you need urgent help but aren’t sure where to turn to visit our I need help pages

Take a look at our COVID support pages for general advice and support during the pandemic. 

If you are looking for specialist support please click here


If you are living on campus you will need to register with a doctor.  If you do not and become ill whilst living at Marjon you will have difficulty in being seen.

Marjon has good relations with Elm Surgery so why not take a few minutes and register now.

Of course you are welcome to pick your own GP surgery, a list of local GPs can be found HERE

Prescriptions and Pharmacies

To order repeat prescriptions, find out about prescription charges and how pharmacists can help you with medicines and medical advice visit the NHS website

If you are suffering from a common health problem (for example, a cold) you can visit a local pharmacy and speak confidentially to a pharmacist. The pharmacist can provide general advice on health issues and suitable medication.

You can find your nearest pharmacy on the NHS website.


What is meningitis?

Meningitis is the inflammation of the meninges, which protect and surround the brain and spinal cord. It is caused by a number of viruses and bacteria. Whilst it can affect anyone at any time, there are particular risk factors that increase the possibility of meningitis in students – especially those in their first year.

The MenACWY vaccine

It protects against disease caused by four of the main groups of meningococcal bacteria – A, C, W and Y. The vaccine is offered to first year university students under the age of 25 – your GP can advise on eligibility. It is advisable to get this at least two weeks before arrival at university. Remember, no vaccine will offer complete protection from meningitis. Vigilance is vital.

What are the signs and symptoms?

Knowing the signs and symptoms of meningitis and septicaemia, remaining vigilant and getting medical help quickly can save lives. Meningitis symptoms can appear in any order and some may not appear at all. Early symptoms of meningitis can include:

  • fever

  • headache

  • vomiting

  • diarrhoea

  • muscle pain

  • stomach cramps

  • fever with cold hands and feet

Meningitis Now support

If you had meningitis prior to – or during – your time at university, you may be struggling with university life. Meningitis Now can provide support. Find out more about Support Services.

Sexual Health

Contraception is free for most people in the UK.

Contraceptive methods protect against pregnancy.  Most methods of contraception won’t protect you against catching or passing on a Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI).  Condoms are the only method that protect against both STIs and pregnancy.

Accessing contraceptives and STI testing:

  • You can visit your local GP. If you do not yet have a GP you can find your nearest service on the NHS choices website.
  • The nearest genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic is located at Derriford hospital. All their tests and treatments are free. Call 01752 431124 for an appointment. Alternatively there you can access their walk in and wait clinic which runs Monday to Friday between 8:30am – 10:30am. Please click HERE to visit their website for further information.
  • If you are 25 or under you can access The Zone for free sexual health advice, STI testing (via your SHiP) and contraception.  Please check the website for times these services are available, available HERE or call 01752 206626.

Types of STIs

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are passed from one person to another through unprotected sex or genital contact. Types of STIs include:

  • Chlamydia
  • Genital warts
  • Genital Herpes
  • Gonorrhoea
  • Syphilis
  • HIV
  • Trichomoniasis
  • Pubic lice
  • Scabies

If you would like to know more about these STIs including symptoms and how they are treated please visit the NHS choices website.

General guidance on sexual health can be found on the NHS website.


Some dental practices in the UK provide NHS treatment but many do not. You should ask your dentist if they accept NHS patients. If you already have a GP then your dentist will contact your GP to confirm your NHS entitlement. If accepted, your dentist will ask you for the NHS number on your medical card. Even if you are entitled to NHS treatment, you may still need to contribute towards the cost of your dental treatment. If you are not entitled to NHS treatment, or the dentist you choose does not take NHS patients, you will need to meet full cost of your treatment.

You can find your nearest dentist on the NHS website.


You will normally need to pay for an eye test, and if you need glasses or contact lenses, the optician will give you a prescription. The cost of frames and lenses vary greatly.

You can find your nearest optician on the NHS website.