Day 3 of Power Boating

Day 3 of more cold, wet and determination, this was going to be the last day of the initial assessment but thankfully I will have next week to practice more power boating. So for me, was a promising start into new opportunities, the fact that it relates highly to my potential career pathway in the Royal Navy helped motivate me even more. However, this day started with showing off our technical competency in a power boat; by demonstrating everything we that we have learned so far. So the pressure was evident, I was falling back into this serious mode and I was finding it hard to relax. Perhaps, this can be taken to as a learning point, maybe I need to learn to control my emotions internally. Maybe I should consider taken up more introverted sports such as yoga and meditation. Although, this did not show on the outside, I was very much anxious and stressed on the inside. However, it was clear that we were as a group, and not individually, were working cooperatively to achieve the NGB. The group actually helped me, slowly, find composure and to upload my morale. The social environment was friendly and I could not ask to be in a better group. My place in this group was isolated outside of power boating. Yet, I felt a part of the group dynamics and a crucial player amongst the group needs and outcomes. Nevertheless, the day continued and already were hours into the session, I do not understand the concept of time, it had seemed to have gone relatively quickly, and in no time we were back at the centre to see to the best part of any day; food. Afterwards, it was time to get back in the powerboats, the most satisfying thing about launching power boats was the use of the bow and stern rope lines to get out of small spaces, nothing like driving were getting out of some parking spaces can be ridiculously hard for many. We had to approach unique features on the Plymouth Sound within 2 metres. That seemed easy but to do so whilst fighting the tide and trying to stay in the same position was difficult. I could see the other group attempt to do the exact same thing only with a different feature, I could see how they drifted off when they approached the feature from different angles, and I used this as a learning point. I felt like I was on a different page to others within the group, I found my learning to be very different and separate from the rest and I could not help but question whether others had been feeling the same thing. As the days session of power boating came to end I could not help but want to do more, maybe an expedition along the coastlines of some distant country or whether having this experience would further help learn more about myself and my capabilities, perhaps this may lead on to a safety boat qualification that may help in the advancement of my potential career. The opportunities seemed endless. As an outdoor practitioner or rather outdoor experiencer, I find the urge to do more, understand more and contribute more to the outdoor community. Perhaps, this can be attained through developing new research or exploring unknown areas. A romantic fantasy I know, but it begs the question, will my version of what I know of the outdoors change into something unique? Perhaps, my qualification that I have achieved, maybe irrelevant to others in the future; maybe the outdoors will soon be more about how we connect and build as community rather than conquering mountains and gaining NGBs.