Week 1 – Pain Management Programme – Day 2

Date: 11.03.2020

Duration: 0900-1230

Individual with whom I worked with: Peter Storrey

Before my placement:

Aims from today’s placement:

Today is the first day of the Pain Management Programme (PMP).  I was expected to meet with the PM team at the Pain Management Clinic and provided assistance with carrying the course resources to Marjon Sports and Rehab centre.  I was also hoping to provide assistance with setting up the room and where it was required to ensure that the first day went smoothly.  I was also expecting to meet with the participants.

The previous day I read about Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT) and Cognitive Behaviour Theory (CBT) to gain a little bit more understanding of what was involved.  I also read the Understanding and Managing Long-term Pain booklet (The British Pain Society, 2015) to help my understanding further.

I need to be mindful of patient confidentiality.  I also need to be mindful of the participants. Some will be enthusiastic participants and others less so.  I see my role as one of observer but also to assist the PM team members and encourage participants during the course.

During my placement:

I felt very relaxed during the first day.  My role is observational but I intend to be involved and to assist the PM team members with any tasks that they wish me to undertake during the course of the morning.

After my placement:

Describe the activities you undertook whilst on placement today:

Today’s session was the first day of the programme.  I helped to set up the seating before the participants arrived. I also helped to hand out programme materials and pens to the participants, escort them to another room where baseline tests were carried out and was supportive and encouraging during those tests.  I engaged with the participants especially during the group work.

Document how you felt through-out your placement today:

I felt very confident during the placement and enjoyed meeting the participants, learning about their experiences in coping with pain on a daily basis.  I enjoyed participating in the ACT exercises and learning more about mindfulness.

Evaluate today’s placement activity:

There was a mix-up in communication when I arrived at the PM clinic reception.  My external placement tutor had asked me to arrive at the PM clinic before the whole team walked over to the Marjon Sports Centre.  The intent was to have a quick briefing about Day 1 and to help carry the programme materials over to Marjon Sports Centre.  When I reported to the reception desk I was informed that the PM team were already at Marjon Sports Centre.  I was a little confused but walked onto the venue only to find that the PM team weren’t there.  I found out from the Marjon Sports Centre Reception the room that had been booked for Day 1 of the programme and waited for the team to arrive.  I was a little anxious but realised that there had been a miscommunication.  I didn’t have to wait for too long before the PM team arrived.  In the future I will report to the PM Clinic to meet up with the team before walking over to the Marjon Sports Centre as this is the usual practice.  Apart from the early mix-up, the day went really well and I felt very positive and happy that I had made a valuable contribution.

A deeper, analytical and critical approach to today’s experiences:

The first day of the programme was very successful and I felt that everything went well.

Draw conclusions – what have I learned from today’s activities and my reflections:

I have a better understanding of participants’ experience of pain management. The majority of treatments only work in the short-term but in the long-term the most effective treatments appeared to be talking therapies, counselling, CBT, ACT – mindfulness, EMDR therapy and exercise.  However this is subjective and there are differences in each participants’ experiences.

Action plan – how will I apply what I have learned from today’s activities & my future professional and personal development:

I will read some of the literature on Mindfulness, CBT and Pain Management to improve my understanding.

Have any questions arisen from today’s placement that I need to discuss with my Placement Tutor or University Placement Tutor:

I did not have any burning questions after today’s placement visit.

Returning to my reflections:

References

The British Pain Society. (2015). Understanding and Managing Long-term Pain. London, UK.

Credit for featured image: