July update from Marjon Students’ Union

helping out at summer schoolHello and welcome to the first of my monthly blogs as Student Union President. These blogs aim to give you a truthful and honest insight of what my role entails. I would like to start by saying congratulations to the outgoing officers Rhys and Laura who worked extremely hard alongside other Student Union staff to make our Student Union the best in the South West (National Student Survey, 2019).

My first month in office has been an experience to say the least, it has been a big learning curve in many ways. Making the transition from a full-time student to a full-time staff member. Interviewing my peers and close friends for the Student Engagement Role. Not understanding most of the Board of Governors meeting (it was a lot of finance talk) and a lot more. My time in office started with Sabbatical training at Exeter Guild alongside other Sabb’s from Student Union’s in the South West region. It was great to talk to outgoing and incoming officers on their time in the role and most importantly network with other Student Union officers.

I have been able to talk about my life journey and my current role as SU President to year 10 students, to show them that challenges in life can be overcome by perseverance and being motivated to do the right things.

Planning freshers has been a big responsibility, I hope that I have done it justice and tried my best to be creative with the events. This month I have met our nightclub sponsors Walkabout, Fever and Przym, to discuss how we can improve the student nightlife experience. I am one step closer to finalising details for the weekly bus trip to the supermarkets, so that all students are able to do their grocery shopping with ease.

The Student Union is now an ambassador for Plastic free Plymouth, we will be holding talks and campaigns throughout the year to raise awareness of single use plastic and much more. That is everything that July has consisted of in a brief summary. I look forward to seeing what August brings and getting closer to seeing campus back to being full of life with students.

The following two tabs change content below.

Gulzar Geoffery

BA (Hons) Sport Coaching and Student Union President

Latest posts by Gulzar Geoffery (see all)