01/02/2020- 3hours

Today was a game day for U7’s and U8’s age groups.

For these age groups they don’t do a full 90-minute game, instead they do little 10-15-minute intervals (basically just a fun kick around). A player from the U7’s age group got struck by the football to the nose and caused a nosebleed. I ran over with my first aid bag, first thing I did was make sure he didn’t feel dizzy, however because it was painful he was just crying and in shock, so I sat him down with his dad next to him and gave him some tissue to pinch his nose, I reassured him that he was such a good boy and that he will be okay! This seemed to have calmed him down, after 5 minutes the bleeding had stopped so I pulled the tissue away and the blood clot came away with it (unfortunately I didn’t get any photos!). after the bleeding had stopped, I felt the nose for any misplacements or any swelling, but there was none present. I made sure he didn’t play anymore just in case he became dizzy due to it being a head injury. I spoke to dad and mentioned to keep an eye on him for the rest of the day, making sure he drinks plenty of water to prevent dehydration and if it bleeds again to get the nose checked out with a doctor.

After the nosebleed incident the goalkeeper from U8’s age group became injured. The ball hit the goalkeepers’ fingers and pushed the wrist in to extreme extension. I assured him that he will be okay and gestured his mum to come over onto the pitch so she can understand what I am saying to the athlete. I tried to move the wrist, but it was causing him too much pain, there was no swelling present, but I was a little concerned about how I couldn’t move his fingers nor could he. I advised his mum to take him to the doctors just in case there was any broken bones (advised an x-ray). His pain was at the distal end of the ulna and mainly in pronation and his ROM was decreased in flexion and extension.