Inhale to prepare…

Induction at the University of St Mark & St John (Marjon), is full on this week and I think this track sums up my sentiment…

The campus is busy with mostly eager and expectant people, although there are a fair few who are looking anxious and still haven’t found their ‘tribe’, as my 20 year old neice refers to her friends. I think we called them a ‘posse’ back in the day-just as pretentious IMHO. I enjoy this time of year from a work perspective, I’m busy and the day just flies by. I work with a great team and being part of a ‘tribe’, or even two tribes, is something I think we all need as we travel through life, on our so called adventures.

Finding that tribe can take some time, and I know from bitter experience how lonely you can feel whilst being surrounded by lots of people who all seem to be having a great time. it has taken me a few years to realise that being on my own does not equate with being lonely, and that I actually like being alone. However, what I think is important are 2 things:-
1. That it is a choice;
2. Not to grab the first people who want to befriend you-getting in with the wrong ‘tribe’ can be just as bad as having no ‘tribe’.
In this day of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat etc. etc. it always looks as if evryone but you has loads of friends, and everyone is having a good time. The virtual world is just that, virtual, and we can all create a digital persona who is as far removed from the real world as it is possible to be!

My advice to anyone who is feeling a bit anxious and overwhelmed is to take a deep breath, look around you, smile and someone will usually smile back. The worst thing you can do is to bury your head in your smart device and pretend that you are having a great time in the virtual world. Think about what interests you and find a club or society to join. if there isn’t one, start one-the Student Union are there to help-use them!

This is a great article from The Guardian which offers some solid advice for those first few weeks-whether you are starting University, or another great adventure in your life!

Don’t forget the hidden song title-if you find it, just email hheywood@marjon.ac.uk and claim your prize.