Clinical Hours 5/11/18

5/11/18 Massage Reflection entry 

Number of Hours: 1

Location:Clinic

Reflective summary:

Client was a eyelash technician so spends her days with bad posture – elevated, protracted shoulders over a chair. She also spends 3/7 at the gym. Because of this she has tight upper trapezius and sore serratus anterior on both left and right sides. As well as lower back pain from the gym lifting weights. I performed effleurage and petrissage massage techniques on the whole back, focusing on any hard lumps found especially in the upper trapezius. I used a myofascial technique. Afterwards I showed the client back stretches to do in between her clients which included side stretched, cat stretch and lateral head tilts. I also recommended she used a tennis ball against a wall to release any lumps in her upper back if she cannot come for a massage.

Areas for further improvement plus action plan:

I have told my client to perform the stretches and use the tennis ball daily. When the client returns I will review with her if the pain has improved and perform massage techniques.Additionally I would like to improve communication throughout to make sure the pain is tolerable at all times using the oxford pain scale.