#WeAreMarjon – Gabby

15Apr - by Patrick Owen - 0 - In #WeAreMarjon
Marjon Graduate Gabby Anderson
Marjon Graduate Gabby Anderson

“Marjon was the obvious choice for me. I’m from Plymouth anyway and there aren’t many universities that do Osteopathy. So, I could have gone to one of the big London colleges, but Marjon was close to home and my mum completed her teaching degree here and loved it, so it just made sense.

“I loved being a student at Marjon. The teaching team were great, and I liked that we learnt in small groups instead of massive lectures. And they made sure you were hands on, there’s no hiding in the back, especially in the public-facing clinic. Having involved and available lecturers just enhanced the experience.

“We worked in small practical lectures in groups of about 18. The tutors were always floating around to offer guidance and praise, but they were never imposing, always willing you on to learn for yourself. I thought that was invaluable, and with Marjon being a small uni, I felt well-supported.

“Smaller groups meant we could voice our opinions, build relationships with each other and the tutors, and we could explore our practice in a safe environment.

“I loved being close to home and was able to live at home and spend time with my family, but also meant I still had the full uni experience. I was in my first year when COVID hit, so I was so lucky to be around my support network to get me through, and Marjon were quick with getting everything online and handled it really well.

“The Personal Development Tutor (PDT) set up did loads for me. Knowing you had one person that was your point of contact, and you could talk to them about anything was so great. But with a good teaching team, you always felt that you could approach any of them.

“Osteopathy is a demanding course, it’s not something you can breeze through, but the close support at Marjon helps you through.

“Before I graduated, I was offered two jobs. It was nice to feel secure and know I could leave uni and go straight into a job. I also work at Marjon now as a Clinic Practitioner, teaching on the course two days a week and observing practice in the clinic.

“Building connections throughout your degree is important, and the lecturers help with that. It meant I didn’t struggle when it came to finding work.

“Remember that the staff here are in your corner, they want to see you succeed and push you to go further, but you have to put the work in too. They believe in you and your capabilities and make it a smooth transition from student to professional.”

Become a qualified osteopath with Marjon here.

Post authored by:
Gabby Anderson
M.Ost Osteopathy graduate
Plymouth Marjon University