Clinical Hours

28/1/2019

Location: clinic

Number of hours; 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administer to rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris and gastrocnemius and soleus)

Clients is a second-year student studying at the University of Marjon on a sports therapy course. Student also plays basketball for upwards of 12 hours a week as well as going to the gym 5 hours a week.  Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus. On functional assessment I noticed that the patient had an imbalance on range of motion on his left knee joint compared to the right I think this was due to the tightness and soreness talked about before. During the massage by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles. After the treatment range of motion on the knee joint improved as well as the muscles being less tight according to the patient.

14/12/18

Location: open clinic

Number of hours- 1 (30 minutes of soft tissue massage and 15 minutes of Kinesiology taping)

Patient is an elderly male in his late 60s, runs between 4-5 times a week works as a maths teacher is sitting for the majority of his day. Patient came in complaining of pain and tightness in his gastrocnemius and soleus. He had said he strained it a week ago out on a run but had been ruining fine ever since. During the massage by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the gastrocnemius and soleus. I also used kinesiology tape to aid his recovery and relieve some of the tightness in his gastrocnemius and soleus. I had him stretch his calf muscles by leaning forward slightly but keeping his foot on the floor whilst I used two strips of kinesiology tape on both sides of the calf muscles to help release so of the tension.

25/2/19

Location open clinic

Number of hours 1: (30 minutes of soft tissue massage and 15 minutes of Kinesiology taping)

Patient is student studying at Marjon university 5 times a week is also is a hockey player on the women’s team at the university. Patient came in complaining of pain and tightness in her gastrocnemius and soleus. She expressed that the pain in her calf muscles was really tight and that she had been training a lot recently without a lot of rest. I performed the massage by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the gastrocnemius and soleus. I also used kinesiology tape to aid his recovery and relieve some of the tightness in his gastrocnemius and soleus. I had him stretch his calf muscles by leaning forward slightly but keeping his foot on the floor whilst I used two strips of kinesiology tape on both sides of the calf muscles to help release so of the tension.

25/2/2019

Location: open clinic

Client came in complaining of pain, stiffness and tightness in his legs a day of a heavy leg day in the gym. From what he was describing to me I could tell he was suffering from Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Upon assessment I also notice a lack of active range of motion in ankle joint and knee joint due to doms in the patient’s legs. During the massage I tried to relive some of the pain, stiffness and tightness by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles. Post treatment the client showed signs of improved active range of motion in the knee and ankle joint.

11/3/2019

Location: Open Clinic

Number of hours: 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administer to levatous scapular and trapezius)

client came in complaining of tightness and stiffness in upper back he explained that he is a consistent gym user and trains that particular muscle group 2-3 times a week. On functional test the patient didn’t show any signs for lack of range of motion but had some discomfort when reaching above his head.  During the massage I tried to relive some of the pain, stiffness and tightness by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the levatous scapular and trapezius. Post treatment the patient said he felt less pain when reaching overhead

11/3/2019

Location: Open Clinic

Number of hours: 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administer to rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris and gastrocnemius and soleus)

Client came in complaining of tightness in legs after a tough leg day in the gym they simply explained what they were feeling which described the symptoms of a person with DOMS upon palpation I notice that her hamstrings was extremely tight especially her biceps femoris I began with massage using  effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment I noticed that the patient also had a small lump in her  biceps femoris this could have been the reason to why her muscle was so tight upon further palpation I noticed that this was just a knot that could be worked out through NMT (neuromuscular technique) I began applying pressure to this point 10 secs at a time which using effleurage in between. After about four rounds of this the lump began to loosen up. Post treatment I notice that the patient had increased range of motion at the knee and ankle joint.

14/3/19

Location Open clinic

Number of hours: 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administered to rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris and gastrocnemius and soleus)

Patient was a third year student at the university of Marjon he was studying sport and exercise coaching was also a member of the men’s basketball team at the university. Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus also stressed tightness in left quadriceps especially the vastus medialis (VMO).  I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment I noticed that the patient also had a small lump in his VMO. This was a trigger point that was most likely causing the muscle to stay flexed over a long period causing the tightness. I began to use trigger point release a NMT technique to relive this tension on the VMO.  After this treatment I notice an improved range of motion at the knee and ankle joint as well as the patient saying he felt like he was in less tight in and around his quadriceps.

25/3/2019

Location Open clinic

Number of hours: 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administered to gastrocnemius and soleus)

Client is a Student that attends Marjon university they’re in their 1st year of study. Client is a part of the women’s netball team and plays 3-4 times a week. Patient complained of tightness and soreness in gastrocnemius and soleus. From what she was describing to me I could tell she was suffering from Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Upon assessment I also notice a lack of active range of motion in ankle joint due to doms in the patient’s calf muscles I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to realise tension in the muscles during this treatment. Post treatment the client’s ankle active ROM had increase as the effect of DOMS had become less

25/3/2019

Location Open clinic

Number of hours 1: (30 minutes of soft tissue massage and 15 minutes of Kinesiology taping)

Client is a student in his 2nd year of strength and conditioning at the university of Marjon. Client also Plays and practices for Plymouth Albion as well as competing for the Marjon men’s rugby 1st team. Patient came in complaining of quad tightness and soreness. Upon assessment I noticed a loss of range of motion in his right quad compared to his left quad.  I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment. I also used kinesiology tape to aid his recovery and relieve some of the tightness in his quad, I made sure that there was some tension on the tape to help stretch out the muscle and aid his recovery. Before applying the tape, I tested his range of motion again after the massage and it showed significant signs of improvement post massage.

9/3/2019

Location: Clinic

Client was a returning patient coming back with the same issue as before recovered well from first treatment came back as a maintenance solution. Client is a student in his 2nd year of strength and conditioning at the university of Marjon. Client also Plays and practices for Plymouth Albion as well as competing for the Marjon men’s rugby 1st team. Same as before Patient came in complaining of quad tightness and soreness. I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment. I also used kinesiology tape to aid his recovery and relieve some of the tightness in his quad, I made sure that there was some tension on the tape to help stretch out the muscle and aid his recovery.

9/3/2019

Location: Clinic

Patient was a first year student at the university of Plymouth he was studying Business was also a member of the men’s football team at the university. Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus also stressed tightness in left hamstring especially the bicep femoris.  I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment I noticed that the patient also had a small lump in his biceps femoris. There was a trigger point that was most likely causing the muscle to stay flexed over a long period causing the tightness. I began to use trigger point release a NMT technique to relive this tension in the bicep femoris which then would release some of the tension in the muscle group.  After this treatment I notice an improved range of motion at the knee joint.

1/4/2019

Location: Clinic

Number of hours:1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administered to levatous scapular and trapezius)

Patient was a 1at year student at Marjon university studying Drama.  client came in complaining of tightness and stiffness in upper back he explained that he is an was a regular gym user and trains that particular muscle group every now and then. Upon functional test the patient did show signs for lack of range of motion and had some discomfort when reaching above his head.  During the massage I tried to relive some of the pain, stiffness and tightness by using effleurage and petrissage as well as NMT as a way to release some of tightness in the levatous scapular and trapezius.  After effleurage I began to use trigger point release a NMT technique to relive this tension in the trapezium which then would release some of the tension in the muscle group.  Post treatment the patient said he felt less pain when reaching overhead.

1/4/2019

Location: clinic

Clients is a third-year student studying at the University of Bedfordshire on a sports studies course but was down in Plymouth catching up with friends and playing basketball. The student also plays basketball for upwards of 8 hours a week as well as going to the gym 3 hours a week.  Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus. On functional assessment I noticed that the patient had an imbalance on range of motion on his right quadriceps compared to his left was bigger than his right this was due to the fact that he had had a knee replacement a year ago and hasn’t gain back all the muscle loss he gained post-surgery. During the massage by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles.

8/4/2019

Location: Clinic

Number of hours- 1 (30 minutes of MET stretching)

Patient is an elderly woman in her 30s, runs between 2-3 times a week works as a general manger of a business firm is sitting for the majority of his day. Patient came in complain of pain and tightness in her hip flexors and glutes. Patient said she has had tightness in her hips for a long time, she also said she rarely stretches before or after her runs. Before stretching I tested her range of motion in both hips they were very similar and both show a limited range of motion. This session I felt like it was best to preform stretching techniques as I thought this would have been more effective. I used    Post-Isometric Relaxation as I felt like this technique would have been the best way for her to stretch and relax some of the tightness without causing too much pain. I also used some Reciprocal Inhibition as I felt like this form of stretching would have allowed the patient to relive some of the tightness in her hips and glutes as this would have actively strengthen the muscle whilst lengthen it. Post treatment I retested the range of motion and the hip and there was a substantial different pre and post treatment.

8/4/2019

Location: clinic

Patient was a 25-year-old male studies at the university of Marjon was a 3rd year student who played on the Universities mens 1st football team. Client came in complaining of pain, stiffness and tightness in his legs a BUCS match the day before. From what he was describing to me I could tell he was suffering from Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Upon assessment I also notice a lack of active range of motion in ankle joint and knee joint due to doms in the patient’s legs. During the massage I tried to relive some of the pain, stiffness and tightness by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles. Post treatment the client showed signs of improved active range of motion in the knee and ankle joint.

10/4/2019

Location: Open Clinic

Client came in complaining of tightness in legs after a Bucs Volleyball 2 days prior they simply described what they were feeling which defined what is known as doms of a person with DOMS upon palpation I notice that her Quadriceps was extremely tight especially her vastus lateralis I began with massage using  effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment I noticed that the patient also had a small lump in her vastus lateralis this could have been the reason to why her muscle was so tight upon further palpation I noticed that this was just a knot that could be worked out though NMT (neuromuscular technique) I began applying pressure to this point 10 secs at a time whist using effleurage in between. After about four rounds of this the lump began to loosened up. Post treatment I notice that the patient had increased range of motion at the knee and ankle joint.

10/4/2019

Location: Open Clinic

22-year-old male patient complaining of tightness and soreness in left and right in his gastrocnemius. Patient is a professional basketball for the local team in Plymouth he has a demanding schedule of between 10 – 16 hours of practice and games a week along with 5 hours of strength and condition during the week. During the first consultation I asked the patient if he had any contraindications and or red flags. which he went on to say no to all of them which meat I could treat without any issues. During the massage by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the gastrocnemius and soleus. I also used kinesiology tape to aid his recovery and relieve some of the tightness in his gastrocnemius and soleus. I had him stretch his calf muscles by leaning forward slightly but keeping his foot on the floor whilst I used two strips of kinesiology tape on both sides of the calf muscles to help release so of the tension.

18/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Patient was a 19-year-old female who studies at the University of Marjon doing a Sports Rehabilitation course. She is also a member of the women’s hockey team which she trains for 2 times a week and goes to the gym 3 times a week. Patient came in complaining of tightness in hamstring and Quadriceps muscles upon palpation I could tell that it would be too painful to administered massage as the patient was extremely sore. I decide that stretch could help with recovery and may reduce the pain she feels. I used Post-Isometric Relaxation as I felt like this technique would have been the best way for her to stretch and relax some of the tightness without causing too much pain. I also used some Reciprocal Inhibition as I felt like this form of stretching would have allowed the patient to relive some of the tightness in her Quadricepts and Hamstrings as this would have actively strengthen the muscle whilst lengthen it.

18/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Number of hours: 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage administer to lower back)

Patient has been complaining of pain in lower back due to a strain in back. Upon postural assessment I noticed has Lordosis which could be the reason for the strain I also tested range of motion which is limited in the back I used effleurage to warm up the muscle but used mostly lifting a rolling as the lower back isn’t a muscle that you would use a lot of pressure on when massaging. Post massage the patient showed signs of improved range of motion and felt like there pain had lessened.

22/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Patient was a second year student at the university of Plymouth she was studying dentistry was also a regular gym goer. Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus also stressed tightness in left hamstring especially the bicep femoris. As she had had a legs day in the gym 2 days before. I started to the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles. After the treatment I thought that I could have done more to treat my patient I could have used different massage techniques to revive the tightness in her legs.

22/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Number of hours 1: (30 minutes of soft tissue massage and 15 minutes of MET)

Client was a returning patient coming back with the same issue as before recovered well from first treatment came back as a maintenance solution. Client is a student in his 2nd year of strength and conditioning at the university of Marjon. Client also Plays and practices for Plymouth Albion as well as competing for the Marjon men’s rugby 1st team. Same as before Patient came in complaining of quad tightness and soreness. I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment. I also used MET. I used Post-Isometric Relaxation as I felt like this technique would have been the best way for him to stretch and relax some of the tightness without causing too much pain. I also used some Reciprocal Inhibition as I felt like this form of stretching would have allowed the patient to release some of the tightness in his Quadriceps as this would have actively strengthen the muscle whilst lengthen it.

23/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Number of hours:1 (30 minutes of soft tissue massage administered to upper trapezius and deltoid 15 minutes of kinesiology taping)

Patient was a man in his late 40 who worked at a desk in a seated position typing for most of the day   client came in complaining of tightness and stiffness in upper back and shoulders he explained that he is in a seated position all day user and trains that particular muscle group every now and then. Upon functional test the patient did show signs for lack of range of motion and had some discomfort when reaching above his head.  During the massage I tried to relive some of the pain, stiffness and tightness by using effleurage and petrissage. After this I went on to use kinesiology tape to tape back the shoulders of the patients as I feels the majority of his pain came from hunching over on a computer the whole day. So the tape would help correct his posture.

23/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Client is a Student that attends Marjon university they’re in their 3rd year of study. Client is a part of the women’s football team and plays 3-4 times a week. Patient complained of tightness and soreness in gastrocnemius and soleus. From what she was describing to me I could tell she was suffering from Delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Upon assessment I also notice a lack of active range of motion in ankle joint due to doms in the patient’s calf muscles I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transitioned to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment. Post treatment the client’s ankle active ROM had increase as the effect of DOMS had become less

23/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Client was a 21-year-old male who plays basketball for the Plymouth raiders Basketball team he has a strain in his lower back, he said he just woke up with it doesn’t remember an exact moment the pain could have started. Patient has been complaining of pain in lower back due to a strain in back. Upon postural assent I noticed has the patient had one shoulder lower than the other this could be due to the strain in his shoulder also tested range of motion which is limited in the lower back, he also had some discomfort when turning left and right. I used effleurage to warm up the muscle but used mostly lifting a rolling as the lower back isn’t a muscle that you would use a lot of pressure on when massaging. Post massage the patient showed signs of improved range of motion and felt like there pain had lessened.

26/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Patient was a fourth year student at the university of Plymouth he was studying sport and exercise coaching was also a member of the men’s American football team at the university. Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus also stressed tightness in left calf especially the gastrocnemius.  I began the massage using effleurage to warm up the muscles then after a while I transition to Petrissage which is a firmer massage done to release tension in the muscles during this treatment I noticed that the patient also had a small lump in his gastrocnemius. This was a trigger point that was most likely causing the muscle to stay flexed over a long period causing the tightness. I began to use trigger point release a NMT technique to relieve this tension on the gastrocnemius.  After this treatment I notice an improved range of motion at the knee and ankle joint as well as the patient saying he felt like he was in less tight in his calf muscles

26/7/2019

Location: Clinic

Number of hours; 1 (30 minutes of soft tissue massage and 15 minutes of MET administered to rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris and gastrocnemius and soleus)

Clients is a third-year student studying at the University of Bedfordshire on a sports studies course but was down in Plymouth catching up with friends and playing basketball. The student also plays basketball for upwards of 8 hours a week as well as going to the gym 3 hours a week.  This patient is a repeat client I saw earlier in the year. The Patient complained of tightness and soreness in rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, semitendinosus, semimembranosus, biceps femoris, gastrocnemius and soleus. On functional assessment I noticed that the patient had an imbalance on range of motion on his right quadriceps compared to his left was bigger than his right this was due to the fact that he had had a knee replacement a year ago and hasn’t gain back all the muscle loss he gained post-surgery. During the massage by using effleurage and petrissage as a way to release some of tightness in the the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles. I used Post-Isometric Relaxation as I felt like this technique would have been the best way for him to stretch and relax some of the tightness without causing too much pain. I also used some Reciprocal Inhibition as I felt like this form of stretching would have allowed the patient to relieve some of the tightness in his legs as this would have actively strengthen the muscle whilst lengthen it.

29/7/19

Location: Clinic

Number of hours; 1 (45 minutes of soft tissue massage on lower back)

21-year-old male third year student sport therapy student also competes for Marjon university rugby 1st team. Patient came in complaining of lower back pain. Patient has pain on flexion gradual onset over last week. Request Soft tissue massage as it revived tightness and pain. A returning client: performed repeated extensions as stated on previous. Patient reputed reduce pain post treatment

Written by:

Be First to Comment